Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Introduce yourself to the rest of the Irish gardeners

Hello! I am really new at this! :)

Most Recent Posts 2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
funny
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
greenishthumb
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Hello! I am really new at this! :) Reply with quote

Hello there! I am a relatively new gardener and I actually do have Irish roots, though I live in the US. I love spending time in the dirt, and would greatly appreciate any ideas or tips that anyone would offer me. The reason why I joined Irish Gardeners is because I found it while "Googling" a question that I had about my garlic plants... but I couldn't find the answer that I needed, so I signed up here so that I could ask it! Smile
My grandmother gave me a bucket full of garlic bulbs from her garden last year and I forgot to put them in the ground until this spring (about March, I think). I really didn't expect them to be alive, so I just planted them in my flower garden, hoping that maybe they would still be alive... Well, now I have 12 in. garlic shoots - about 20 plants I think - inside a 12 by 12 in. space. They are quite crammed, and I am wondering if I should move them, or transplant them, or just thin them out. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am not sure if I am posting this question in the correct area, so I will probably copy it and paste it in another area as well. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!
verge

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome there greenishthumb. Well harvest time over here is coming up for garlic, the end of June. I follow the rule of plant your garlic on the shortest day of the year around 22 December and harvest on the longest 21 June. You can harvest the bulbs, split them and replant autumn winter no bother.
This previous topic explains it a bit more Can i transplant garlic now? Late April / Early May
greenishthumb

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for your help! I read the article that you suggested as well, and I think that I will wait a bit to transplant them. Thanks again for your reply!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Introduce yourself to the rest of the Irish gardeners All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: