Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Perennials, Ferns and Ornamental grasses

June flowers, flowers that flower every year.

Most Recent Posts Garlic problem
Last post: Greengage
funny
Last post: ponddigger
Introduce yoursellf to whom.......................
Last post: Keeks
I'm new here
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:28 pm    Post subject: June flowers, flowers that flower every year. Reply with quote

June flowers, flowers that flower every year.
GPI

Its at this time of year when people begin to see others gardens fill with blooms, that I am often asked for planting suggestions to bring a plain garden some uplifting colour. Along with colour, another common requirement is that the plant flowers every year, and quite rightly so.

Annual plants that live/bloom for just one growing season are brilliant for instant colour, but for colour that returns you should be looking towards perennials (living three years or more) or else shrubs (woody plants). These are commonly sold in pots and can be planted at any time of the year provided the ground is not frozen or waterlogged.

A trip to your local garden centre this week will expose you to many of the June flowering perennials blooms, as they are normally sold in flower to ensure they catch the eye of you the customer. Look of course, purchase a few definitely, but whatever you do don't buy all the plants for your garden in one visit.

Buying in one go could mean that you will select plants in bloom, forgetting about the other months, leaving whole seasons without colour in your garden. A simple tip I give to new garden owners is to visit the garden centre once in each of the four seasons, selecting plants in flower on each occasion. In this way you will have a good spread of colour right throughout the year.

But back to June and what you can plant to brighten up a colourless corner year after year. The three plants I will list are in bloom throughout the month of June and will be available in all good garden centres. Plant them in a group together as listed below , and you will light up any sunny corner.

. (1) Tree Peony, (2) Oriental Poppy, (3) Coral flower, photo / picture / image.

Tree Peony.
At the rear of the group plant one specimen of the hardy Paeonia delavayi known as the tree Peony. This normally understated shrub comes alive from the month of May onwards, its divided dark green foliage providing the background to the glamorous maroon flowers which are dotted throughout. Magnificent is a word often used to describe a mature tree peony, and I would have to agree having seen quite a few holding their sumptuous blooms up to head height and beyond.

Oriental Poppy.
Surround the tree Peony with a run of five to seven Oriental Poppies, Papaver orientale "Perry's White" is a suitable one for this project. Growing and blooming to waist height, this poppy has the poppies typical downy, green leaves and more excitingly, large, ruffled white flowers similar in texture to crepe paper. Plant these poppies at one and a half to two foot spacings in a zig-zag fashion.

Coral flower.
Finally to coat the ground in front of the tree Peony/Oriental Poppies cluster, you should plant masses of the purple leaved coral flower known as Heuchera micrantha "Palace Purple". After the green foliage of the other two specimens, this Heucheras purple-red almost burgundy leaves are an eye-catching addition.

Although grown for its leaf colour mostly, its tiny pink June flowers supported on wisp thin stems are also worth mentioning. As I said plant masses of "Palace Purple", fifteen or more planted at one foot spacing will give you the desired drift effect.

Try this grouping if you require a June blast of colour, and let me know how you get on Smile

Any queries or comments on June flowers, flowers that flower every year, please post below.

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Perennials, Ferns and Ornamental grasses All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: