Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irelands Garden tools / equipment. (mowers, glasshouses & polytunnels etc).

homemade greenhouse

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  
Most Recent Posts Fountain
Last post: vulkan
The spout!!!
Last post: ponddigger
stream and pond on a sloped site
Last post: ponddigger
Colocasia Alocasia
Last post: vincent71

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
jimmy mac
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:09 pm    Post subject: re lean to Reply with quote

Hi spider i have just been admiring your greenhouse .One query is did you put in foundation for the blocks or did you lay some on the flat.i am taking on a similar project soon and i am wondering is it neccessary to put down concrete ,i was thinking of a 6inch block on the flat and then buld a couple of rows on top on their sides.
Her Outdoors
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We did a very similar house to your one last year. Our site was just too windy for a polytunnel. We didn't use concrete blocks, just concrered treated timbet posts into ground. Then put some dry concrete mix on the floor. We used the back wall of our garage as the starting point. It works very well, it is a nice working area and holds a huge amount of seedlings. The staging was made from old pallets.

Bench.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  73.78 KB
 Viewed:  48908 Time(s)

Bench.JPG

GREENHOUSE.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  101.43 KB
 Viewed:  48908 Time(s)

GREENHOUSE.JPG

GREENHOUSE SIDE.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  95.22 KB
 Viewed:  48907 Time(s)

GREENHOUSE SIDE.JPG

HPIM0267.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  83.65 KB
 Viewed:  48907 Time(s)

HPIM0267.JPG

spider

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi jimmy mac .I built mine as cheap as possible , as i had most of materials laying around,
Made a frame of 5*2 ,covered that with 2no 3/4 plywood ,over that put torch on roofing felt. Then left that on some 4 inch blocks on flat , i think about 9no altogether. After i had the greenhouse built i put 2 inches of sand on the floor.
First for weight ,to hold it down ,second for damping down on hot days.
Wanted the option of moving it if i ever had to .
As i said everything on the cheap, windows got from a neighbour , sheeting from another , timber from palletts, had felt, iron, ply ,sand,

want to know any more let me know ok
spider

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats Her Outdoors fine greenhouse. plently of room in there, like the window on the end
Her Outdoors

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Spider

We did the same. Bought treated timber as we want it to last. Window was salvaged from a change made to the house. Done the floor similar to yours which really works. Door was made from salvaged timber lying in the shed. Its amazing what you can use up, and the pleasure you get from it.

jimmy mac

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:57 am    Post subject: re homemade greenhouses Reply with quote

Thanks for that spider .ill post pics when im done though i think it will be a long time
Amsterdam
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 7:53 am    Post subject: greenhouse Reply with quote

Hi all could you give some idea of how much your homemade greenhouses cost to build! I have an old window lying around to put in the greenhouse. And can I ask what size your green houses are.

I'm torn between going with a homemade greenhouse (haven't told my dad yet I want him to build it) or 8' x 16' polytunnel (which is also being made for me by a friend who's just started making polytunnels)
kchsligo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:41 pm    Post subject: homemade greenhouse Reply with quote

First time poster and I realise this is an old thread so people may or may not still be active.

I've taken inspiration from the posts above and have built a lean-to greenhouse onto the side of my garage (latest pic attached) and now have to make a decision on how to finish off - Spider used polycarbonate and Her Outdoors seems to have used corrugated PVC.

I would imagine that the polycarbonate is better (and more expensive) but for a novice like me would i be better of going with PVC and possibly upgrading at some stage??? Someone has even mentioned the clear plastic that is used in a poly tunnel...

Really confused and would appreciate some advice from anyone else with experience of such a project.

Greenhouse.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  745.17 KB
 Viewed:  44429 Time(s)

Greenhouse.jpg

Sb
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: homemade greenhouse Reply with quote

Quote:

I would imagine that the polycarbonate is better (and more expensive) but for a novice like me would i be better of going with PVC and possibly upgrading at some stage???

I'll say another thing for Corrugated PVC. Its real easy to attach to a wood frame like yours. Wood screws with waterproofing washers is all you will need.
Lius

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm ready to clad my lean-to greenhouse, I think I will use corrugated PVC sheeting This seems to be the best value i.e. cost V durability / life. I will seal tight with the eaves filler and bitumen tape (Corolux by Ariel looks good).

How are any of your corrigated PVC greenhouses holding up???

Any tips for a newbie greenhouse builder?

IMG_20130318_161315-2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  488.54 KB
 Viewed:  40056 Time(s)

IMG_20130318_161315-2.jpg

kindredspirit
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing to do with greenhouses but I'm stunned to see that your cordyline has apparently survived the two bad winters in 2010 unscathed. How did you manage that?
A little garden in Co. Limerick.Some non-gardening photographs.
Lius

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi kindredspirit,

We actually had two Cordylines that survived the bad winters with no help from us whatsoever. The other one was much nicer but onfortunately infringed on my shed extension and I had to cut it down to make space, I letft 2ft sticking out of the ground so that I could get a grip to pull the roots up later (never happened) and the Cordyline took-off again a few months later see picture below.

We have three Cordylines at our summer house in Portrane, all got hammered with that big snow / frost, I cut them down to the ground and they too are taking-off.

It seems to be a very hardy species for a tropical.

IMG_20130319_155438.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  512.14 KB
 Viewed:  40028 Time(s)

IMG_20130319_155438.jpg

Her Outdoors

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lius wrote:
I'm ready to clad my lean-to greenhouse, I think I will use corrugated PVC sheeting This seems to be the best value i.e. cost V durability / life. I will seal tight with the eaves filler and bitumen tape (Corolux by Ariel looks good).

How are any of your corrigated PVC greenhouses holding up???

Any tips for a newbie greenhouse builder?

Yes - the corrugated PVC is good and tough, we have had no problems at all with ours and it is almost five years old now. It looks as good as the day it went up, it was definitely a better option than a polytunnel.

Crispy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello all,
I'm new to the forum and to gardening, i got involved about 12 months ago in building a community garden in my town and ended up taking a plot. Caught the bug and deceided a greenhouse was a must have. Before i new it i had trenches dug in the lawn, foundations poured and dwarfwalls built, 1980's large DG windows and door sourced and galvanised steel uprights ordered. Problem is i now have what is basically a frre standing DG conservatory built to wall plate level. QUESTION! How would u suggest i roof it? I'm struggling to deceide if polycarbonate is worth the money on the other hand pvc corrugate seems to work out almost as dear. Expierenced opinions or advise would be grately appreciated!
Crispy.
Lius

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have already used double glazing on the walls it would be a pity not to use double (or triple) walled polycarbonate on the roof which would make it a good heat retaining greenhouse. Most of the heat passes out through the roof so that's where you need material with the least heat loss. You will definetly need automatic vents on that greenhouse to prevent over heating.

I clad my entire greenhouse with clear corrugated PVC sheeting because it was a fraction of the cost of twinwall polycarbonate, I will need a heater for the frosty nights in spring however as the thin PVC sheet looses a lot of heat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irelands Garden tools / equipment. (mowers, glasshouses & polytunnels etc). All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: