Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Lawns and grass care

Mole draining

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: tagwex
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
MeathMan
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:03 pm    Post subject: Mole draining Reply with quote

Hi, my site is currently quite wet. Its still a field and I'm turning it into a lawn this year. I remember when I got my percolation tests done that the water was slow to drain away as the soil had avery doughy texture. I remember that it took a ridiculous amount of time to drain from some of the holes we dug. I've heard of mole draining and a version of it that uses a hopper full of stones and drops stones into the channels cut in the subsoil. I'm going to test the drainage around the site and assuming its as bad as I think it is should I get this done(mole draining with stones)??
cooler
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regular mole drainage has a limited life span as far as I can make out as essential you are creating voids un the soil which will beging to fill/clog up again within 5 or more years. mole drainage with gravel fill has a much longer life and is very effective if carried out by an experienced contractor. It is quite pricey though as I am sure you will find out from the quotes.
MeathMan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi cooler. My brother in law(a farmer) told me he has a 'thing', not sure what its called, but it breaks up the soil below the surface and it also has a hopper for dropping in stones where it breaks up the soil. He said that its not a mole drainer. He also said that it would be a bad idea as it would leave the lawn too dry. Have you any idea what that might be??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Lawns and grass care All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: