Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden Photo gallery & Plant Identification area

Bloom photos and comments 2008

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  
Most Recent Posts Happy Christmas
Last post: Margo
Pisonous plant in the garden this month
Last post: Sue Deacon
Quiet times
Last post: Sue Deacon
Honeymoon Honesty
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
beolight
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How so, what direction is that as I have never gone the the house and home shows?

they all basically end up with loads of trade show retailers who just go from show to show hawking their product which most of the time is totally unrelated to the trade show shoe shine products, the latest kitchen gadget/gizmo

i strolled though the first hall aad i was totally put off the show by the time i exited it, it wasnt about flowers/trees and presenting something new it was about selling/selling , after seeing a stand selling ladies shoes i searched for nearest exit

not before seeing mr middleton gold winning vegtable display stand which would not of even merited a bronze at a local fair.....genieunly i thought the display vegtables were plastic when i got close to them they were all coated in dust

the show gardens didnt really inspire and generally added to the feeling of claustrophobia jeez its the phoenix park surely more space could of been set aside for what after all is what the show is meant to be about but something tells me the exhibitors are being charged by the square metre here

i actually had seen the plans for the ford garden by meadow a couple of weeks ago and was looking forward to seeing it but when i finally found it it looked tiny and insignificant and was totally spoiled by the sponsors product placement .

dont get me talking about the rip off catering going on this just added to the feeling that this show is going in wrong direction

hopefully the OPW will revise the handling and direction of this show or if they are only landlords their participation in it

i was at last years one and came away full of enthusiasm but not this time this has now become a money making exercise
inishindie
Rank attained: Tree plantation keeper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:25 pm    Post subject: more pics Reply with quote

Hi

Here are a few more photos away from the garden design area.

Cheers

Ian

Lisa-Adam

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like the photos inishindie. Are you the official photographer? If not you should be. Smile

beolight not trying to be an apologist for bloom but I thought it was pretty good.

beolight wrote:

they all basically end up with loads of trade show retailers who just go from show to show hawking their product which most of the time is totally unrelated to the trade show shoe shine products, the latest kitchen gadget/gizmo

i strolled though the first hall aad i was totally put off the show by the time i exited it, it wasnt about flowers/trees and presenting something new it was about selling/selling , after seeing a stand selling ladies shoes i searched for nearest exit

I agree there was that alright. I blame the recent release of the sex and the city film for the shoes. Very Happy

beolight wrote:

the show gardens didnt really inspire and generally added to the feeling of claustrophobia jeez its the phoenix park surely more space could of been set aside for what after all is what the show is meant to be about but something tells me the exhibitors are being charged by the square metre here

I went on thursday so the feeling of claustrophobia was not so bad due to less people I guess. As it was not so busy I had a chance to speak to two seperate designers and I prodded them with questions like what would it cost to do that garden in my plot. I suppose I was cheeky but asked both how much it cost to enter a garden. To my surprise both said it was free, but there was a strict vetting procedure so that any old tat would not get in.

beolight wrote:

i actually had seen the plans for the ford garden by meadow a couple of weeks ago and was looking forward to seeing it but when i finally found it it looked tiny and insignificant and was totally spoiled by the sponsors product placement .

I agree that was so blatent as it swamped the garden. If I was the designer I would'nt be too happy.

beolight wrote:

dont get me talking about the rip off catering going on this just added to the feeling that this show is going in wrong direction

We brought a packed lunch. Wink

beolight wrote:
hopefully the OPW will revise the handling and direction of this show or if they are only landlords their participation in it

I think they are only landlords, although the walled garden and the mature trees really add to the show as can be seen from some of the pics.

beolight wrote:

i was at last years one and came away full of enthusiasm but not this time this has now become a money making exercise

I missed last years one. If I had gone I may have had a different view. It was miles better than the garden heaven shows which really were just a collection of stalls, indoors so no problems with rain, but no aptmosphere or mature trees etc.
beolight

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Lisa-Adam

please dont take my comments as totally negative, im hoping they can be seen as constructive as it is a great concept and really do want to see it going in this direction

the OPW and others should i believe take ownership or more proactive role in this concept as it has the potential to become a great family event and introduce a whole new generation to gardening

nice to know that the designers arent paying

my negative side thinks this may explain why they were shoeholed into that area , turning these spaces into a garden cant be cheap so understandbly they would seek sponsorship but placing a whooping big car into the design garden????

Quote:
I went on thursday so the feeling of claustrophobia was not so bad due to less people I guess. As it was not so busy I had a chance to speak to two seperate designers and I prodded them with questions like what would it cost to do that garden in my plot. I suppose I was cheeky but asked both how much it cost to enter a garden. To my surprise both said it was free, but there was a strict vetting procedure so that any old tat would not get in.

its a pity the same strict vetting procedure isnt in place when it comes to the exhibitors
medieval knievel
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beolight wrote:

i was talking to one of the people who run the garden centre i'd use most (the cottage garden centre in ratoath, fwiw) and she was telling me that the smaller designers had only eight days to set up, stretching up to three weeks for the large gardens - seemed to be a fairly short amount of time to me.
blagadan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We decided to go to the show on Saturday morning. The show was not as crowded as we were expecting which was a real plus, (try Chelsea if you want to see what crowded really is....). The standard of the exhibits were quite high. What a beautiful venue! My hat is off to the park management for this event. Very well organised apart from one or two minor critiques. If they were using Chelsea as their model, they have done a fine job of bring the spirit of such an event to Ireland.
My personal favourite was the walled kitchen garden, which was an absolute inspiration. Immaculate and beautifully presented. As for the Show gardens, Very nice but not inspiring unfortunately, a few ideas to bring home but there was no WOW factor there for me.

Apologies for the grainy photos, I used my pocket camera for this event.

James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blagadan wrote:
We decided to go to the show on Saturday morning. The show was not as crowded as we were expecting which was a real plus, (try Chelsea if you want to see what crowded really is....). The standard of the exhibits were quite high. What a beautiful venue! My hat is off to the park management for this event. Very well organised apart from one or two minor critiques. If they were using Chelsea as their model, they have done a fine job of bring the spirit of such an event to Ireland.
My personal favourite was the walled kitchen garden, which was an absolute inspiration. Immaculate and beautifully presented. As for the Show gardens, Very nice but not inspiring unfortunately, a few ideas to bring home but there was no WOW factor there for me.

Didn't see that chainsaw on my travels around the show blagadan.
Amazing what some people spot. Laughing

I think is is a testament to the designers that I could not recognise some of the gardens when photographed from different angles.
Changing views, different vistas and all that.
I spoke to Peter Donegan the designer of the the pink boat garden "Pour L'amour de Jeux", who had a garden featuring an old morris minor last year entitled 'No Rubber - Soul'.
He told me these gardens are part of a land, sea and air trilogy, so it will be interesting to see if he manages to get a Ryanair sponsored plane for next year. Pink of course. Razz

Some nice shots of the veg areas as well blagadan.
So weed free but I guess the OPW/botanic gardens students helped with that.

Glad you enjoyed it.
Minor critiques besides the lack of wow factor in the show gardens, care to share?

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
Rach

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:08 am    Post subject: Bloom Reply with quote

Would agree with Beolight above, I've a bit disappointed the last two years. But maybe its just not my kind of gardening.

Loved the fairy garden pictured above.

Was disappointed with the south county dublin garden, when I saw the price list for the garden accessories that all the kids were playing with, thought that the kids or some of the council gardeners could make something more interesting.

Got to meet the suppliers and nurseries which was good.
Peppermint farm from Cork with their intersting herbs and the Organic centre in Leitrim.
Don't think I'll bother next year though, looking for more sustainable, native plants kind of gardening. Sad

Rach

[/quote]
blagadan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPI wrote:

Minor critiques besides the lack of wow factor in the show gardens, care to share?

Maybe I'm being unfair with my comment on the Show Gardens, I'll give my opinions and you can take them as you will?

Paul Doyles "the wind takes me"garden was lovely if you like symmetry. It actually reminded me of a church altar whan I saw it first! Quite an overpowering use of granite and hard materials. A very photogenic garden with nice choice in shrubs and trees. I spoke to Paul and was impressed with his passion but I felt his garden was somewhat cold and un-inviting. The brief described the garden as somewhere to relax, meditate and contemplate ... I didnt feel that sensation.
The "Doylescapes R&R" garden was...... well, a bit too black? Immediately when I saw it, i didnt warm to it. I stood there for 10 minutes wondering if I would find something I liked and to be honest, the only thing I liked was their choice in slate mulch around the beds.
The "Ford" garden, I walked straight by. All I saw was a great big vehicle nessled there and I cared not to look at vehicles that day.... Silly promo for the sponsors... Obviously they didnt want a subtle inflection of their support to the designer...
Tim Austins "Mount Usher " garden was pretty. I enjoyed this one the most. The composition was perfect no matter what angle you looked. Their choice in plants was balanced nicely and the whole garden was pleasing to the eye. Something you would expect to see on the cover of a gardening magazine. I spoke with one of the guys behind the rope, (I didnt catch his name), and he was more than willing to go into great detail about the planting and materials used, even pointing out the not so obvious delights of the garden. I wish I had been taking notes!!!
Peter Donegans pink boat... My kids liked this, but I have to say I didnt think much of the cruise boat!! A novelty I suppose... I liked his wooden planter boxes located around the garden (I am going to copy this in my garden) and I also liked the 'recycled' wood 9"X3" kerbing he used for his beds. A white carved statue hidden by the border got some attention. ("You dont often see Nice full breasts on a statue" I heard an older gentleman say as he stood next to me, to the rupturous delight of the near by onlookers...lol)
G Mullens "sand scape garden" was interesting but a bit too contemporary for my tastes. I liked the layered strata effect on the walls, very interesting. The planting was balanced nicely..
Lurene Tallon, "Wonderful world we live in.." I liked this. A natural setting almost inviting me to come in and sit. I particularly liked his 'recycled' arch made from 3/4" copper pipes. This would be something anyone could do in their garden.
Mark Grehans "INISOIRR" was my second favourite garden. I spent quite some time standing here enjoying this space. I could see myself sitting there enjoying a glass of wine with friends.
The "Spaces Between" garden was lovely. I enjoyed this one quite a lot and this comes in at my "number 3". Nicely designed and the proportions were pleasing to my eye. I actually came back to this one a couple of times to stand and admire.
"A view askew" was one I didnt admire for long. To watch the designer was enough for me. Even though there was no one there watching the garden when I passed, she seemed un comfortable there standing in her own space. A cold and un inspiring garden. (Might have looked good on paper...?) The grass seats were interesting, but again, when I noted later in the day that someone asked her if they were comfortable, she said yes and went about draping herself into one.... she did not look comfortable....

As for my critiques, Our Entry into Phoenix park was only marred by security people who didn't believe manners were required. Shouting rudely at people and generally enjoying their moment of superiority perhaps. We noted 2 instances of different security staff acting unprofessionally. One more notably upsetting an elderly woman who was walking ahead of us almost to the point where she wanted to turn around and go home. She was walking along along a path that indicated "pedestrians" but may have been assigned for motorised vehicles? We still dont know. The guy roared at her like she was mud and laughed aloud once she changed direction and walked on the grass. This needs to be addressed.
Also, perhaps for next year they could improve the sign posting for pedestrians as they make their way up to the gates? We were fooled by the signs that said "20 mins walk from here"... It actually took us 45 mins of walking in the hot sun, and both of my kids were cranky by the time we got to the gates, not a good start!
The Marquis was a bit dissapointing. All of the floral displays in there were having a hard time with the heat i guess. It is true, the gold winning vegtable display was surprisingly poor, all the vegs were waxy looking and very dusty. Not a very high standard to show the public who generally paid good money to come in and see what wins a gold in bloom??? As for the consumer section of the marquis, not a lot for gardeners there... this area could be improved on.... forgive me once again for comparing to the Chelsea flower show, but at least the RHS had stall after stall of gardener related vendors - garden utensils, equipment, clothing, art, etc... probably 75% or more gardening related stalls. A gardeners paradise...

On a general positive note, once inside the gates, everything was professional and well organised. They were well set up for kids too with play ground and areas to engage the horticultural minds of young ones.

Will I go back? Yes, looking forward to it already.
beolight

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i incurred the wrath of the parking guys also who seemed to consider pedestrians a general inconvenience.

very unprofessional,i witnessed a couple of people enquiring what was it all about to be told in the gruffiest dont be bothering me type of manner it was all about flowers. again im sure the exhibitors inside who paid good money for the stands would be delighted to see the show marketed in this way

agree with previous poster too about about 20 minute walk fiasco factor in a couple of kids and you will be pretty tired and irritable by time you get to gate to pay your 50 euro family ticket

on way back to car i noticed phoenix park shuttle bus had a designated stop close to bloom but still about 25 minute walk, surely given the size of event it shouldnt of taken a genius to try and arange more frequent buses and get them to drive the extra distance to the show. not everybody has a car

can anybody tell me what awards the gardens mentioned by previous poster got
foamcutter
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

can anybody tell me what awards the gardens mentioned by previous poster got

A list of the winners is available on the Bloom site http://www.bloominthepark.com/winners_p.asp
inishindie
Rank attained: Tree plantation keeper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:38 am    Post subject: Aw shucks Reply with quote

Hi Lisa- Adam

Aw Shucks, thanks for the suggestion about being the official photographer for the Bloom show.... If the organisers are reading this, they know how to get in touch for next year....

I would have taken more photos but I had a bit of an accident with the camera.

I was listening to Gerry Daly tell us where to put your house on a plot of land to make use of a private back garden. When he had finished, I stood up and forgot that the handle wasn't around my neck as usual. The camera crashed to the ground just after I managed to kick it with the steel toe capped boots I was wearing (you never know when you might have to do a bit of work,....I carry gloves around too, just in case)

I am down to a happy snappy camera for a while but did manage to get a few good photo's of the botanic gardens in Berlin this week

http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/about1516.html

Cheers

Ian

Lisa-Adam

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Aw shucks Reply with quote

inishindie wrote:

I would have taken more photos but I had a bit of an accident with the camera.

I was listening to Gerry Daly tell us where to put your house on a plot of land to make use of a private back garden. When he had finished, I stood up and forgot that the handle wasn't around my neck as usual. The camera crashed to the ground just after I managed to kick it with the steel toe capped boots I was wearing (you never know when you might have to do a bit of work,....I carry gloves around too, just in case)

Laughing Laughing Pardon my laughing but that is so funny.

inishindie wrote:

I am down to a happy snappy camera for a while but did manage to get a few good photo's of the botanic gardens in Berlin this week

http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/about1516.html

Cheers

Ian

Saw them. They were great.
medieval knievel
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did the prices vary over the weekend? i paid €22 in on friday, but someone said the price on the saturday and sunday was over €30?
verge

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

medieval knievel wrote:
did the prices vary over the weekend? i paid €22 in on friday, but someone said the price on the saturday and sunday was over €30?

They were wrong by the looks of it. From the official site.

TICKETING COST & INFORMATION
Day Ticket Type Price*
Thursday 29th - Preview Day
Limited tickets on sale for this exclusive day. Ticket price includes entertainment, a car park pass, complimentary catalogue and a drink upon arrival. Adult €35
Family (2 adults, 3 children) €70

Day Ticket Type Price* Gate Price
Friday 30th May Adult €18 €22
Child/Student/Senior €8 €12
Family (2 adults, 3 children) €40 €45

Saturday 31st May - Monday 2nd June Adult €21 €25
Child/Student/Senior €11 €15
Family (2 adults, 3 children) €45 €50

*plus €2 advanced booking fee

Unless they bought from touts. Razz

Benefited from us? Then link to us or tell others.

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden Photo gallery & Plant Identification area All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: