Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Lawns and grass care

How to turn a field into a lawn

Most Recent Posts Cheap seed tricks
Last post: ormondsview
Swallows
Last post: tippben
...What did you do Today...
Last post: tagwex
Why I decided to grow vegetables for myself
Last post: My Potatoes

MeathMan
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: How to turn a field into a lawn Reply with quote

Hi,
I have a 1.5 acre site that I need to turn into a lawn. Its agricultural at the moment and there will be hay cut on it this summer after which I'll be starting work. I've some ditches to fill in the meantime. What are the sequence of steps. I had a quote from a landscaper for 3,500 whosaid he would leave it seeded and ready to mow. He also has a 'stone burier'. If I want to get this done myself what needs to be done? As I understand it, its something like:
1. Spray and kill
2. Plough
3. Sow and harrow

Where does the stone burier come in and what steps am I missing?

Thanks

R
James Kilkelly, was GPI.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MeathMan, the steps are outlined in this post... A new lawn from seed. .

The stone burier usually comes in at the stage the rotovator comes in, after ploughing/digger work.
Just before the final raking (if needed) and seed spreading/turf laying.
See the video below for one in action (no sound).
There is no doubting that it leaves the soil very fine for seeding, too fine on occasion as a crumbly structure would be preferred.
This dealt with in the post I mentioned.

If the video is missing, please inform us by emailing here info(at)irishgardeners.com change the (at) for @

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
medieval knievel
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

out of curiosity, why do you want a one and a half acre lawn?
you could buy several thousand bare root saplings for the quote you received above - though that wouldn't include planting them.
MeathMan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

medieval knievel wrote:
out of curiosity, why do you want a one and a half acre lawn?
you could buy several thousand bare root saplings for the quote you received above - though that wouldn't include planting them.

Its not exactly 1.5 acres as the house,gravel/patio area comes out of that but Its a really nice area that I intend starting off with completely in grass and as time goes by I'll probably start planting here and there. Theres actually another 1 acre adjoining this land that I intend using for trees, vegetables, greenhouse,shed and the likes.
MeathMan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks GPI. Thats a bit daunting. With the size of the lawn it'll all have to be done by heavy machinery which may cause some compaction. I think I have some drainage problems which I'll confirm by diggin the 12inch holes I saw referenced in another post. I'm trying to work out if it make sense for me to get the work done bit by bit or get the landscaper in to simply provide me with a lawn. I only want to do this once-properly.
JennyS
Rank attained: Rowan Tree
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi - this'll maybe sound a bit daft, but much, much cheaper than the 3,500 you were quoted.......

When I bought my place what is now my lawn was a combination of rough grazed field and some damp, rushy ground. (Over half an acre altogether, but with flower beds and a pond too)
I got a good lawnmower that the cutting height could be adjusted on, started out on the highest setting and mowed it all........ Filled hollows, removed stones, seeded bare bits and did a bit of leveling as I went along.
Over the next year or two I lowered the height setting as the ground leveled out and the rough grass was replaced by shorter, finer grasses because of the constant cutting.

Wink I've a really good-looking lawn now!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Lawns and grass care All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: