Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News.

Allotment gardening in Ireland

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  
Most Recent Posts oops
Last post: kindredspirit
funny
Last post: kindredspirit
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Margo
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Sundew
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 11:02 pm    Post subject: Allotment gardening in Ireland Reply with quote

Not sure where to post this tread but I am just wondering if there are any allotment gardeners on here or anyone interested in allotment gardening?
With many people living in apartments now (me included) and smaller gardens, I am sure there is a growing demand from people who want to grow some veg in the city!
I started to do some research on the net about 2 weeks ago and could only come across lots of info on allotment gardening in Britain where there has always been a history of people growing their veg on plots in the cities. I eventually found a snippet on a thread with info about some plots in Dublin provided by the different Councils. I rang South Dublin Co Council last week and they told me they have a few allotment areas. One in Palmerstown, Tymon Park ( only a few plots) Corkagh Park,Clondalkin and Friarstown, Boohernabreena. You have to fillout an application form and go on a waiting list which I have done. It costs roughly around €48 though some bigger plots cost more.
I will keep you posted on how my application is going.
If people want some more info check these sites out.
http://development.southdublin.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=94&Itemid=67

http://homepage.eircom.net/~sthduballots/

Moderator edit:

For all the news, views, and allotment locations throughout Ireland visit... http://www.allotments.ie/
This site from the creator of Irishgardeners.com is the Irish blog for allotments & community gardens, vegetable & fruit growing, smallholdings & small farms.

fuinnseog

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sundew,

best of luck on your allotment hunt! I'm really interested in getting an allotment but as I live in City Council boundaries I'm precluded from applying to Fingal which is quite literally just the other side of the train tracks from my house.

I'm on the Northside so I'm following up with people who have expressed an interest in renting out farm land as either con-acre or allotments. Unfortunately, progress has been slow. If I do hear anything more, I will post on here.

I'd love to hear from anyone else who has any news of northside allotments, private or public. Smile
Sundew

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuinnseog:
Have you actually contacted Dublin City Council about allotments in their jurisdiction? I read on South Dublin Allotments Association's website where there may be some coming on stream in the near future Smile

medieval knievel
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i heard that the allotments in decourcy square in glasnevin were recently handed to the council - apparently, they had been privately owned, but with the fuss over dartmouth square, the owners realised that they'd never get any money for them, so relinquished ownership.
fuinnseog

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's interesting, I'll try the city council again but i'm not holding my breath.... Coming on stream usually means about 10 years in council speak! I
'm still waiting for them to close a laneway behind my property that was scheduled for completion last year...no sign of it yet! Fingers crossed they will get around to it soon as it would mean extra space to squeeze in GH Very Happy
Sundew

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuinnseog : I was talking to a really helpful lady in Dublin City Council office this morning. She took the trouble to make enquiries and got back to me later.
She said that that the Dublin Parks Department are compiling a database of interested parties. If there is enough demand (which I'm sure there is) they will be contacting people and making allotments available. I think the girl I was speaking to was quite fascinated with the whole thing.
I think many people don't know about allotment gardening and younger people who do,either think it is "twee" or for more "mature gardeners" which is not the case.

I think that demand for more allotments in Dublin especially the city council area is growing and I reckon it would be beneficial to many people in the city, being a brilliant recreation and great way of meeting people Smile

fuinnseog

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sundew, could you PM me that helpful ladies details please? I will give her a bell and add myself to the Parks list!
Sundew

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just mailed you.
Congratulations on winning the tickets to Bloom 2008.
I was there last year and even though it rained heavily it was very good. Unfortunately I won't be able to make this years bloom in the park Crying or Very sad

fuinnseog

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, I will give them a ring and see what i can find out.
Wink
Looking fwd to Bloom now! Very Happy
birdie
Rank attained: Rowan Tree
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuinnseog wrote:

Wink
Looking fwd to Bloom now! Very Happy

Please...... dont rub it in. Very Happy Very Happy Wink
Rach

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject: Allotments Reply with quote

Hi there,

I have an allotment with Fingal county council and was living in Dublin city council area when I got it.
They have allotments in Turvey (near Donabate) and a new site in Tryellstown where we are being moved. Apparently it's a bigger spot.

I've moved to south county dublin and put my name down for an allotment in a few places. I was told there would be about a 4 year waiting list but I reckon that could be longer.

What happens with Fingal is that the plots never get put back into the kitty, they are passed on to friends when the usually retired man is finding them too hard to manage. It is meanto be 1 plot each and non commercial but that's not what happens in reality. I've had vacant plots around me for the past 3 years. I've also been offered a second plot by one of the guys which I turned down as one is enough for me (they're huge - 1/10th of an acre). One fella I was talking to had 3 plots in Turvey (all in different names) and 2 in Cappogue which he was finding 'quite hard to manage'!!

So that's it, if you're on the inside you're laughing but after that anything coming up in the next 5 years would be lucky. Although the new site may mean some more plots in Fingal.

As for Dublin city council, the woman you talked to may be enthusiastic but the reality of land availability within the city council area may make it difficult.
I mentioned some of the above (about sharing the plots amongst current holders) to the lady in charge of allotments in South County Dublin.
She had never heard of such a thing and insisted that it would never happen in south county dublin council!
Sooo.... in the meantime I'm waiting 4 years.

On a positive note, you could get in touch with some councillors and hassle them a bit.
Guerilla gardening on vacent lots is a slightly more risky option.
I have a small area in a neighbours garden that was offered to me for growing veg.
It is amazing how generous individuals can be if you get the word out that you want to grow veg. and the bonus that you'll throw a few tasty lettuce their way.
Okay, that's it, sorry about the length of the message but the state of the way the allotments are run in Dublin tends to bug me, and I'm one of the lucky ones with a plot!
Mad
Rach
Sundew

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What happens with Fingal is that the plots never get put back into the kitty, they are passed on to friends when the usually retired man is finding them too hard to manage

I actually wondered what happened to plots that somebody could no longer use. I did presume they would not be returned to the council.!!!!
My cousin in Manchester did the same thing, he passed it on to his brother after moving to France.
In Tymon and Mill lane it did look like there were a few plots not being worked on Confused

God if the waiting list is 4 years then I'm wasting my time Rolling Eyes
Will take your advise about getting onto a C.C. I had already thought about bringing up the subject with a city councilor.

Rach: how long have you had your name down on the list for South Dublin?

Rach

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:30 am    Post subject: Allotments Reply with quote

Hi Sundew,

I'm only on the list since last November so I'm not holding my breath.

Also I was told about allotments in Grifeen park by one of the councillors but there was no mention of it when I was out in with the allotment person in the council in Tallaght.

So as mentioned earlier, think it does help to talk to as many people as you can. Best of luck.

Rach
jimmy mac
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am the proud owner of 4 acres about 50 mile from dublin outside portlaoise and i am looking in to the possibility of setting it up as allotments about 1/4 acre in size.water on site anyone know how i would go about it
Rach

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:05 pm    Post subject: Allotments Reply with quote

Hi there,

The allotments with Fingal were one tenth of an acre and €30 per year.
Water on site.

Not sure when you're a private individual renting land what the storey with insurance is.

Also most of the older people on the allotment are not from Dublin so it's not just a city thing.

Best of luck.

Rach
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News. All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: