Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden planning, prep and landscape design in Ireland

Attn: Leitrim Gardeners

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Rachael
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: Attn: Leitrim Gardeners Reply with quote

Hi,
My partner and I are wanting to buy some land and build in Leitrim. I am not sure when, but in the next couple of years. I have my eyes out for good bargains at the moment though and have been looking online.
It has occurred to me that Leitrim has some variety because of it's shape. And it looks like some of it is less hospitable. We are planning on being sustainable and organic, and want to grow our own food, etc. I am just wondering if anyone from Leitrim could tell me what the problems are to look out for, which areas to try and find land in, and any advice about what to look for in my piece of land.
Also, if anybody from Leitrim OR elsewhere, grows all their own food, what would be the minimum amount of land to be self sustainable.
Thanks,
Rachael
ian
Rank attained: Ash Tree
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 9:19 pm    Post subject: land in leitrim Reply with quote

Hi Rachael,
for living in leitrim and living off the land you should contact the organic centre near rossinver, they're a very obliging bunch and will steer you right. All the books say 4 acres is enough for self sufficiency if you are keeping livestock. It is very wet county and the land does'nt drain well and not near as productive as land in the south of the country, also if you start a cottage industry ,jam making, basket weaving or some such you would be better off in a more popular tourist area where a number of regular markets already exist in your catchment area.
Regards, Ian.
Rachael

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ian. Yes I had thought about contacting the Organic Centre but thought I'd see what people on this site thought first. So, 4 acres. That sounds good, I'd like some wooded areas too, so I might look for a bit more. I know Leitrim to be wet and boggy in parts, but I was thinking that there must be areas that aren't soo much. In what ways would it be less productive, does too much rain make things rot or is it the lack of sun you're talking of? I only have experience of container gardening on a windswept balcony, so too much water is not something I (or rather my plants Laughing ) have had experience of. I don't know if I'd be up for setting up a cottage industry and selling to tourists, I'd be more up for bartering with the locals Very Happy but then you never know do you. Anyway, thanks again for your thoughts,
Rachael
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden planning, prep and landscape design in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: