Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden planning, prep and landscape design in Ireland

plant suggestions and lawn treatment

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: tagwex
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
vbold
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 11:37 am    Post subject: plant suggestions and lawn treatment Reply with quote

Hi all,

Complete novice here

I'm trying to get seriously get stuck into the garden at the moment and I've a few issues that I need some advise on

I have a large block wall - not the prettiest - all along the east facing side of the garden, could any one suggest a few climbers or ornamental bushes/small trees which I could plant along it to cover it up - it's about 70ft long (6 foot high) so I need a few - (also I'd like to create a border in front of some of them if that matters!)

also whatever goes in will have to compete with the bind weed which i'm trying to kill but it's very difficult - the roundup doesn't seem to be up to the task - has any one used anything stronger? Where i do have plants i just keep pulling hte bind week up before it get a hold of the plant

The grass in the garden is just awful, in patches it's about 70% weeds, mostly dandelions, are those "weed suppressant and grass fertiliser" combination products any good? - I really don't want to lift the whole lawn as it's quite large and would cost a fortune.

I've a hedge on the west facing side that I'd like to put a border in front of, any suggestions for what will survive in front of a hedge and look good - I kind of like a wild and colourful look..? The hedge is evergreen and is about 4 foot high, the area in front of it would get a good bit of sun

oh and I have made a veg patch for myself using some decking boards to make raised beds (looks nice) but I've seen some other people using planks, any suggestions on the best place to source treated planks (which wouldn't be as large and expensive as sleepers)

whew..

Any advice is appreciated
cooler
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPI the site admin writes great articles on loads of topics (lick lick Razz ) On the subject of wood for growing vegetables in "Wood treated with preservative?
Instead try using untreated scaffolding planks or untreated joist wood on their edge screwed to four corner posts (minimum 2"x 2"). You also have the option of using decking boards or tanalised D-rail fencing boards, these can be stacked two high on their edge to mimic the scaffolding planks.
However be aware that there is evidence to show that the chemicals used to treat these woods eg. decking, fencing, pressure treated, may not always be safely locked away in the fibres of the wood. These fungi busting chemicals however miniscule the levels, may leech into the soil water and be taken up by veg, which will then in turn be taken up by you. "
. This is taken from this post http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/about1161.html
On the subject of your bindweed try here http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=967
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Climbers for the wall...

Evergreen Honeysuckle.
Lonicera japonica 'Halliana' (requires support)

Evergreen ivies.
Hedera canariensis 'Gloire de Marengo' (self clinging)
Hedera colchica 'Sulphur Heart'
Hedera colchica 'Dentata Variegata'

You can plant in front of these and they will act as a good backdrop.

Bindweed, see the post already linked above.

Weedy lawn, ooooh 70% close to my magic 75% rule.
Have another look, you will have to get down on your hands and knees to have a look right across your lawn.
If the lawn is 75% weeds, then it is best to spray the lawn off completely with a Glyphosate based herbicide (Roundup), starting again from scratch and reseed.
If you have less than 75% weeds, then the lawn is salvageable. Apply a selective weed killers such as "Verdone" or "Clover lawn weed killer", these leave the grass but remove all the broadleaf weeds.
The weedkillers come in liquid form, dilute this with water as per instructions, and apply with a sprayer or watering can.
The "weed suppressant and grass fertiliser" combination products are quite good, but pricey if you have a large lawn to do.
Here is the link to the lawn weeds section of the site, have a look at it for further info Lawn weeds.
Lots of further reading for you there.

Border in front of hedge on the west facing side, should work ok as it will get some good sun.
Just be careful not to plant too many evergreens which will cut out light to the hedge causing it to die back in spots.
For a start try Crocosmia as a perennial which will look "wild" and will be colourful in the summer.

Treated planks, see the post already linked above.
vbold

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the suggestions Smile

i've got some reading to do so
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden planning, prep and landscape design in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: