Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Lawns and grass care

Reseeding over dead lawn?

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Margo
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
horizonuser
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 8:30 am    Post subject: Reseeding over dead lawn? Reply with quote

When we purchased our house the builder looked after everything in the garden. The land is around 1 acre and he rolled and seeded it. Over the last couple of years I have notice that there are many problems with the garden. The biggest is that there doesn't seem to have been any top soil ever put on it at all. This year I decided to take a small part of the garden and kill it all over with Roundup/Rambo with a view to get in some topsoil and resow. However, I am wondering what I should do with the dead lawn. Is it OK to just leave the dead grass there and rotavate it into the ground. Or is it advisable to get a digger in and strip the whole top off and start from there. Obviously the second option is the most expensive and I would like to stay away from that if possible.

Thanks.
Sb
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be no problem provided the old lawn has been well burnt off ie. all perennial grasses and weeds dead. The dead grass will add organic matter to the soil feeding any future lawn.
Was drainage a problem as this could mean a different approach?
horizonuser

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, drainage was/is a huge problem throughout the whole garden. I am just concentrating on a little part directly outside my back door area. There is no way I can resolve the drainage problem without 1000's of euro of cost to do I so. I figured that my topsoil and subsoil is badly compacted and of "clayie" composition. I initially thought some drains throughout the garden running off to the back would help, but it turns out it wouldn't as the subsoil is so compact this wouldn't work.

What would you suggest differently when re grassing?
Sb

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I remembered you alright horizonuser. Wink Well I ask because I was wondering have you improved the drainage in that little part out side the back door before you spread topsoil for seeding.
If not, have you considered digging out the compacted soil/subsoil to allow for the instillation of a drainage stone base with quality 6 inches of topsoil for seeding atop. Or if not that, at least ripping the existing soil/subsoil to open it up a bit. This could be done with the bucket of minidigger provided it has long teeth. All this will up the costs though. Mad

FYI, Gpi has an article with all the info on seeding a new area of lawn which will be similar to reseeding, so it will help you. http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=287
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Lawns and grass care All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: