Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Wildlife, Irish Wild flowers and nature gardening.

earthworm worth €700m

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Sue Deacon
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Sue Deacon
oops
Last post: Margo
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
medieval knievel
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: earthworm worth €700m Reply with quote

FORMER TAOISEACH Bertie Ahern once complained that major road schemes were being held up "because of swans, snails and the occasional person hanging out of a tree". But now a price-tag has been put on the true value of our wildlife.

Whatever about swans and snails - and, in the case of one road scheme, the unglamorous Kerry slug - a new report commissioned by the Department of the Environment claims that the humble earthworm is worth €700 million per annum for the "services" it provides.

These include removing dead matter and releasing nutrients back to the soil. As Charles Darwin wrote: "It may be doubted whether there are many other animals which have played so important a part in the history of the world, as have these lowly organised creatures".

The department's 197-page report, Benefits and Costs of Biodiversity in Ireland , calculates that its marginal value is worth at least €2.6 billion per annum - much more than the costs involved in maintaining it for the benefit of society, including human health and well-being.

Compiled by a consortium led by Dr Craig Bullock of Optimize Consulting, the report concedes that putting a value on biodiversity "is no easy task" and says the €2.6 billion figure is a conservative estimate; Ireland's still rich biodiversity could be worth a lot more.

http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/frontpage/2008/0512/1210503983225.html

i must try to sell some now...
Sb
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good find medieval knievel. I love earthworms and can never fathom how some people are scared of them. One thing I often wonder about is what the earthworms make of all the modern city gardens which are all paving and pots but little or no beds with soil. Are the low maintenance gardeners evicting the worms.
Protein
Rank attained: Ash Tree
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In keeping with our wriggly friends - I have a question and don't want to create a new post...

Some parts of my garden have got weeblock membrane (it was inherited)

Its combination of both the woven plastic and impermeable plastic sheets.

Question is, how would this affect earthworm in their daily routines? how would worms beneath the surface feed?

me

walltoall
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 10:13 pm    Post subject: Can I worm my way out of this one? Reply with quote

I don't know the answer to that one protein, but I reckon any helminthologist you find going the road would put you right.
kinvarasustainableliving
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the plastic is impermeable, as in no moisture gets through, then the ground beneath is a desert. If it's permeable, then you would have had earthworms and possibly still do. Best thing for worms though, is to pull it up and fork over the soils and add organic matter. On a recent project I've used a jute biodegradable mulch mat, and am keen to see how it preforms. It should biodegrade in 2 or 3 seasons.
Sarah Evans
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advice Kinvarasustainableliving, we are encouraging customers not to use mypex. I find on our patch the clay soil just compacts and clogs up the membrame so water just sits on the top of it. Horrible stuff and definitely not good for wildlife....
029 60084
www.thesecretgardener.com
kinvarasustainableliving

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried the jute, hemp or coconut alternatives. Love to hear how they cope in Irish conditions?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Wildlife, Irish Wild flowers and nature gardening. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: