Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Hard landscaping in Ireland, Garden Features (Paths, Patios, Paving, Decking, Walls etc)

weeds through gravel pathway

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: tagwex
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
ciaranburke
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 10:35 am    Post subject: weeds through gravel pathway Reply with quote

Hello . Has anyone suggestions on an effective wat to control weeds growing through the gravel in my driveway . I've tried most off the shelf products and whilst the address the specifc area the weekd continue elsewhere. I'm looking for a cost effective way to cover the complete area which will hopefully give me long term eradication of the problem. There is traffic so i dont think a base cover is an option.Thank you.
verge

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What type of weeds are we talking about here. Some soft annuals like chickweed or shepards purse or tough perennials like mares tail and bindweed? What may suit your needs ciaranburke is a product called Casoron G. Its what we call a total weedkiller, killing the weeds present as well as having a residual activity both against existing weeds and future emerging weed seedlings.
ciaranburke

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi . Many thanks for your response. I think it is primarily Dock leaves and Dandelions that I have. Do you recommend Casoron G for these weeds. Regards Ciaran
Sb
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will have to spray those with Roundup first but Casoron G can be applied after as far as I know.
walltoall
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 11:25 am    Post subject: gravel drives and fighting weeds the old way Reply with quote

In the early 50's our family put down a gravel drive which was the first gravel drive in our village. We maintained it for almost 20 years til we left Lusk. All the family was involved in an on-going project which I like to think made all of us 'experts' in gravel use/maintainance. We weeded it by a bit of scuffling and a lot of raking. We discovered that a gravel drive attracts seedlings of all sorts and the produce can be tended and harvested if the ground is not rendered infertile by membranes or total weedkiller. Our annual supply of shamrock for export came from the gravel. Anything that sprouted was double-checked to see if it could be used. Boy! Was that gravel productive.

That's only the canvas, now for the scene.

I came back to gravel in 2002 when me'n'her-indoors moved to our present location. http://poplarclose19.webs.com We inherited the previous owner's garden plan and vowed to incorporate what we found (slowly) with various ideas of our own, or build on what we found. (We are cash-rich/time-poors). One idea I liked from the original layout was a tasty little gravel path 'gone to seed' literally as well as figuratively. Luckily, I remembered what my Ma and Granda and a local professional gardener Pa Magee had taught me 40 years previously.

The gravel path runs around the garden in a kind of semicircle. By 2003 it had been tamed and regenerated by scuffle'n'hoe. But the BIG secret during 2003 was the incorporation of a french drain underneath the gravel, with a spur running diagonally across the lawn. Why? During the first winter we planted a Sorbus in the totally clay 'soil' by digging out a goodly hole and filling it with nice compost. We drowned the tree by not knowing that a hole in London clay fills with water just like a bucket and Sorbus will not grow in a bucket of water. The french drain was the last bit of heavy labour I've done in the garden. (I have chronic ME and spent almost a month in bed after that escapade).

2007/2008 we got a boundary wall built incorporating 'planters' or raised beds at knee height. The gravel path runs along that line now with planters also along the other side of the gravel. I can walk along the gravel and tend stuff as I go, including scuffle'n'hoe. I find the gravel easier to maintain than the adjacent lawn. The war on lawn weeds is ongoing and mowing (1998 Jubilee 35 mit Briggs and Stratton) is a constant chore, especially when you have to move skateboards, deckchairs, large pots gazebos tables barbecue stuff, books, laptops and sometimes paving slabs.

Let's hear it for gravel gardening then.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Hard landscaping in Ireland, Garden Features (Paths, Patios, Paving, Decking, Walls etc) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: