Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Can I plant a walnut near fruit trees?

Most Recent Posts At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
funny
Last post: tagwex
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Caltona
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 6:00 am    Post subject: Can I plant a walnut near fruit trees? Reply with quote

I saw Monty on Gardners World mention that you can't plant a walnut near other fruit trees, but he didn't say why and how far apart. What is their effect on other fruit trees as I wish to plant a walnut about 50m away from apple/pear trees. Would this be OK?
crosseyedsheep
Rank attained: Rowan Tree
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen some mention before that a black wallnut tree shouldn't be planted near a vegetable garden, it's a companion planting issue, if you want more info google "companion planting" and "black wallnut" together. If you're planning on planting the walnut 50 Metres from the fruit trees I wouldn't imagine it will effect them.
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

50 metres should surely be ok.
The roots of most Walnut trees and to a greater degree Black Walnut (Juglans nigra ) produce a plant harming substance known as juglone which can be found in their leaves and roots.
These leaves and roots have an allelopathic effect, which prevents other plants (including apple trees) growing in its root zone through the production of poisons.
This plant harming zone usually extends about a ft outside of the roots, but much farther if fallen walnut leaves are allowed to drop,blow, lie, and decompose at the base of other plants.

In fairness Caltona, you swould be safe enough just leaving 30 metres from the apple tree, as long as you rake up the leaves of the walnut when they fall.
PS. don't compost them as this can still be harmful if spread at the base of plants in the future.
Good luck with your walnut.
Caltona

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: Thanks for your help! It all makes sense now. Reply with quote

GPI wrote:
50 metres should surely be ok.
The roots of most Walnut trees and to a greater degree Black Walnut (Juglans nigra ) produce a plant harming substance known as juglone which can be found in their leaves and roots.
These leaves and roots have an allelopathic effect, which prevents other plants (including apple trees) growing in its root zone through the production of poisons.
This plant harming zone usually extends about a ft outside of the roots, but much farther if fallen walnut leaves are allowed to drop,blow, lie, and decompose at the base of other plants.

In fairness Caltona, you swould be safe enough just leaving 30 metres from the apple tree, as long as you rake up the leaves of the walnut when they fall.
PS. don't compost them as this can still be harmful if spread at the base of plants in the future.
Good luck with your walnut.
Caltona

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject: Thank you for coming back so quickly with a reply! Reply with quote

crosseyedsheep wrote:
I've seen some mention before that a black wallnut tree shouldn't be planted near a vegetable garden, it's a companion planting issue, if you want more info google "companion planting" and "black wallnut" together. If you're planning on planting the walnut 50 Metres from the fruit trees I wouldn't imagine it will effect them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: