Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden planning, prep and landscape design in Ireland

Drives, Co.Mayo on a very boggy site.

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Mary Lynch
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: Drives, Co.Mayo on a very boggy site. Reply with quote

I have a stone cottage in co.Mayo on a very boggy site .I 've had lots of conflicting advice about the right sort of drive .I originally wanted gravel with sleepers.I've been told I need to dig out about 9inches of soil ,put down hard core,then 804/504? then the gravel. Is this correct? And will pea gravel work or should it be 15or 19mm stone.?

Is kerbing better than sleepers in this location? Or is it just that no-one wants to cut the sleepers in a curve as I wanted! Any advice very welcome-I'm a complete novice.

Many Thanks in advance!

Exclamation Edited by moderator to add descriptive title............... poster see rule 11 http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/about27.html
Sb
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Drives Reply with quote

Mary Lynch wrote:
I have a stone cottage in co.Mayo on a very boggy site .I 've had lots of conflicting advice about the right sort of drive .I originally wanted gravel with sleepers.I've been told I need to dig out about 9inches of soil ,put down hard core,then 804/504? then the gravel. Is this correct?

Usually digging 7 inches is sufficient, but if your engineer advices deeper on boggy soil then I would go with that. This is usually followed with 804, but again in your boggy case some hardcore has been advised. I would defer to the judgement of someone having seen the site.
Gravel (approx 30mm deep) comes after the 804 then of course.

Mary Lynch wrote:
And will pea gravel work or should it be 15or 19mm stone.?

Pea gravel is better for footpaths as on drives it tends to stick in the tire groves, but gravel anywhere in the 10 to 18mm range is good for driveways

Mary Lynch wrote:
Is kerbing better than sleepers in this location? Or is it just that no-one wants to cut the sleepers in a curve as I wanted! Any advice very welcome-I'm a complete novice.

Can't really see why one would be better than the other in that situation save how they appeal to the viewer. Cutting the sleepers can be a pain alright, but consider using them as upright cut stumps. Set side by side like short soldiers, in this way beautiful flowing curves can be created
Mary Lynch

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: Sleepers or concrete kerbing? Reply with quote

Thank you. Good idea to use the sleepers as uprights and so get a good curve.Have now read that authentic sleepers may leak toxic stuff in certain environments but new sleepers may crack. Any opinions on this? Is there any concrete kerbing suitable for a rural area near mountain and loch?
foamcutter
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A poster called Quincy made his own concrete kerbstones when he couldn't find what he wanted. http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/about273.html

I've seen pressure treated wood used as an edging. It can be formed into a curve and screwed to pegs in the ground, not a lifetime job but could work in the meantime.
Sb

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Sleepers or concrete kerbing? Reply with quote

Mary Lynch wrote:
Is there any concrete kerbing suitable for a rural area near mountain and loch?

The CELTIC KERB shown on this page linked below would blend well with a rural location and it should be hardwearing.
http://www.originpaving.com/kerbs_and_edging/default.asp
They have a office in Galway, so not too far away from you Mary.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden planning, prep and landscape design in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: