Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Climbers and creepers in Ireland, including wall shrubs

jasmine hearty enough for outdoors?

Most Recent Posts oops
Last post: kindredspirit
funny
Last post: kindredspirit
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Margo
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
annieryan
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 10:32 am    Post subject: jasmine hearty enough for outdoors? Reply with quote

Hello there.

Rather new to gardening. I bought a beautiful and fragrant jasminum polyanthum for climbing up a trellis. And now I'm wondering if it will be hearty enough to survive the Irish winter.

Should I take it back and get a clematis instead?

Thanks!

Annie
Sb
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are you in Ireland. Midlands or near the coast as this will affect winter freezes.
annieryan

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 11:18 pm    Post subject: dublin mews for jasmine polyanthum? Reply with quote

I'm in a mews house in Dublin. The area I'm hoping to enhance with this plant is an east facing timber and perspex structure that extends from the house into the front garden. Gets decent sun and is not too exposed to the elements.

This jasmine is in flower now - Do you know if this kind flowers for a short time? I've read conflicting things - that they flower only in spring and all summer; that they are tough as ol boots; that they are not as hardy as common jasmine.

I'm willing to give this a go and see. But it'd be a drag if it really takes off this summer and then doesn't flower next year. Maybe a more dependable climber might suit better?

It is very pretty and fragrant.

Thanks!
verge

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at the hardiness zone map on this page. Your Jasmine is hardy in all the areas marked zone 9 (coloured browney-red) http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/about132.html

Their usual flowering time is late winter and early spring, but a well grown example under ideal conditions can bloom right through to mid spring with even some repeats possible into early summer.
If you mean Jasminium nudiflorum as the common Jasmine then yes your jasmine is not as hardy as that common jasmine. See here http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=465&highlight=jasmine

The main problem I see is that you are putting your plant on an east facing wall when it really requires the full sun of a south facing wall.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Climbers and creepers in Ireland, including wall shrubs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: