Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Growing fruit in containers

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Maria
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject: Growing fruit in containers Reply with quote

Hi there, I've just started a blog about my attempts to grow fruit in containers. I do posts on everything I've learnt along with plenty of pictures. If you have grown fruit in containers and have any advice please let me know. I'm hoping to learn from as many sources as possible.
If you know nothing about this topic then you can have a look and see if there are any ideas that might be of interest.

Happy gardening
Smile Maria

birdie
Rank attained: Rowan Tree
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like the site Maria. But is it really possible to grow fruit well in containers and have good fruit? Like how do you feed say an apple tree in a container after a few years when it has lots of roots? Someone in a garden centre said to me that you could scrape of the top compost and replace it, is that true?
Maria

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: fruit in containers Reply with quote

Well, I don't know the answer to that one and that's why I'm going to be doing some experiments to see how effective it is. I've read some books that say it is possible and yes they say to scrape off the top couple of inches and replace it with fresh stuff every year. Obviously the crop will be smaller, but they are easier to net from birds if necessary or move to a warmer place.
Smaller bush fruits are very easty to grow succesfully incontainers except maybe raspberries.

WE'll just have to see Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: