Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News.

Guerilla Gardeners!

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: tagwex
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Rachael
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:26 pm    Post subject: Guerilla Gardeners! Reply with quote

Hey all,
Did anyone read the article in the Guardian last week about Guerilla Gardeners?
I can't find the article to link it for yous, but here is the link for the website mentioned which will give you the same insight as the article http://www.guerrillagardening.org/

I am not advocating, or intending on breaking any trespassing laws, but I love this idea Very Happy And the potential is huge. I noticed there is only one "troop" in Ireland listed on the site, but I think there are probably lots of people doing this secretly who don't know they are part of a movement.

I particularly like seeing the pictures of the "gardens" and find them inspiring. I was wondering if we have any "Guerillas" on this site who might share stories and photos?

I live beside the canal in Dublin. There is a spot beside the bridge under our window, where the youth from the area gather in the summer. They leave lots of litter and their behaviour gets loud and roudy Mad I know it's very optimistic, but I was thinking if the place was full of wild flowers that it might have a positive effect on the way they use the area. Laughing I know, very optimistic, but worth a try.

(So I was thinking of just scattering wildflower seeds, and maybe even some sunflowers against the wall of the bridge! Do you think they'd take if I just scatter them after it's rained, as I don't want to noticeably work the area?)

There is a woman near here who lives in one of those old workers houses with no front garden. she has claimed the space around the trees in front of her house. You know they way there is a tree in a small square of earth in the pavement? Well she has crammed them full of plants and flowers Very Happy it looks great.

Anyway, just thought I'd share this as it tickles me Laughing

Happy gardening,
Rachael
medieval knievel
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

courtesy of a friend who works in the guardian:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2008/apr/25/activists.conservation
Rachael

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks MK,
That's the article, sounds great doesn't it?
Rachael
medieval knievel

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've been discussing this with a couple of friends, both of whom want to do something with the housing estates they live in, where the only communal areas are grass and a few trees.
Tobar

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never heard of Guerilla Gardening before, but I like the idea very much.

I'm already thinking of places in my neighbourhood, which could benefit with a little attention.

Unfortunately, I could see the local scummers spending some quality time in ripping them up. Mad
Sive

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid I couldn't seem to get through to this article, but I think I get the drift of the idea. I have recently moved out of Dublin, and would love some ideas of how one could be a guerilla gardener in the countryside!
cooler
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Is this what you mean?

Rachael

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing nice one cooler!!

Sive, you could scatter wildflowers down plain grassy roadsides. Or even create future leafy drives by planting trees? Or flowers in the grassy triangles you sometimes get at road junctions?

Tobar, the "scummers" are a problem for the guerilla gardeners but if you check out the website, you'll find stories of these battles, and the attitude the guerillas have towards them. The main reaction is to keep fighting the good fight, and sometimes when they have actually confronted and explained to the culprits, there follows an apology!

I think it helps when "troops" form, so the workload and financial load is spread, and obviously support after "attacks" occur.

MK, it has amazed me in the past when going into housing estates, that the community don't prettify the green areas more, as there tends to be lots of potential, and some need too, I would add. I think too that when people realise how much better an area looks, there is more respect and people probably help by littering and destroying less. And maybe joining in. Very Happy

I'm excited that some of you are thinking about it, i'd like to hear what does happen!

Rach
medieval knievel

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the main issue for one friend is that his suggestion to the residents association about putting extra trees in was that it would attract drinking teenagers.

though from what i've seen, teenagers tend not to drink in housing estates.
Rachael

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure that I follow the logic of trees attracting the imbibing yoof Laughing

But if they are worried about places to hide or screening off their activities, I would imagine planning the layout and choosing different types of trees or plants would change that.

If it's a large space, they could try and get the teenagers involved at the planning stage and create an area for them to get rid some energy like a bike path with hills to go over or somesuch, but obviously this would be a bigger project and would require lots of organisation.

I think it's about encouraging community to think differently about the space. And if you read the stories about people creating a community garden from a patch of wasteland, and having BBQ's and veggie patches, and fish ponds etc, you can see the potential. It just takes someone to start it and then try and get others to join in and to plan the space according to their needs and desires.

The more ways the garden can be enjoyed the more all the elements of the community will appreciate it and the better everyone will take care of it. You could think of humans like insects and plant (and design) according to what you want to attract and what you want to repel. You want to attract the human ladybirds Laughing

Rach
medieval knievel

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's a new estate - lots of couples and young families; few if any, teenagers.
JulieSh

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never heard of this before either, but thinking about it, I've probably seen it!

Just today, I took an obscure turning, hoping that it would lead me somewhere 'near' home (I'm still exploring the area & this is the best way of finding my way around!) and we came across a house with a grass bank opposite.... the bank was absolutely jam-packed with tulips - all sorts of colours, but looked absolutely gorgeous!
Obviously, the person in the house opposite had planted them and it just looked so pretty, that I started thinkng about the bank opposite our house for next year!

Bring on Guerilla gardening, I say!

Sive

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the idea of the wildflowers on verges. I have lots of foxgloves that I grew from seed last year, so when they go to seed, that will give me loads of ammunition in my guerilla campaign What a wonderful idea....our entire hilly access road could become a flowery paradise! If you could see how much I have to do on my bare acre, you would laugh at my ambition to expand my gardening empire! But, as they say, nothing ventured, nothing gained.
foamcutter
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant idea, concept ....... great to see.

Here a video of guerilla's in action http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/video/2008/apr/25/guerrilla.gardening
medieval knievel

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

would be curious if he followed that up with the local police sergeant.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News. All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: