Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Need Advice on starting vegetable garden

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Margo
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Finality99
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:21 am    Post subject: Need Advice on starting vegetable garden Reply with quote

I've got a 5 metre x 3.4 metre or 16'5" x 11'2" plot. [17 sq. metres or 183 sq. feet]

So. I dunno. Is that enough for growing anything? I'm going to put a metre wide path down the centre. So I'll have two little 2 metre x 3.4 metre plots. The whole plot itself isn't the only land available. It's surrounded by grass and dirt. So it's not completely encompassed by walls or hedges so it'll get plenty of sun.

Right now the seed packets I have as follows:

Unwins:
1x Lettuce - Crisphead - Webbs Wonderful
1x Broccoli - Organic - Waltham 29
1x Broccoli - F1 Hybrid - Lord
1x Cabbage - Summer - Primo
1x Cabbage - F1 Hybrid - Stallion
1x Onion - Cocktail - Paris Silverskin
1x Carrot - Chantenay Red Cored 2
1x Carrot - Autumn King 2
1x Parsnip - White Gem

Thompson & Morgan:
2x Pea -Greensage
2x Strawberry - Sarian F1 Hybrid
1x Lettuce - All Year Round
1x SweetCorn - Conqueror F1 Hybrid
1x SweetCorn - Honey Bantam F1 Hybrid

I have no idea what the quantity of seeds in these packets are. They cost like €1.90 - €2.50 each and there seems to be a palm full in them.

So with all that information what do you think I should plant, given the space and what seeds I have. Soil seems ok.

Also do you have any tips? I read that gardening tutorial thing. So I'm going to put a path down the centre of the plot because it says in the tutorial that walking on the soil will make it water logged.
But that's really all I know. Any other tips/advice will be appreciated

Last edited by Finality99 on Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:15 pm; edited 3 times in total
verge

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finality99 thanks for taking the time to read "that gardening tutorial thing", now please read rule 11 http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/about27.html and edit title.
Finality99

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

verge wrote:
Finality99 thanks for taking the time to read "that gardening tutorial thing", now please read rule 11 http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/about27.html and edit title.

I have changed it. Now back to your cave my precious.
verge

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I added a vegetable to the title on my way back to the cave.
BlackBird
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finality99 wrote:

Now back to your cave my precious.

Rolling Eyes
You may find it hard to get replies to this thread, but here goes.

Create raised beds in your two plots to the dimensions mentioned in the "Veg garden piece". The soil is okay you say. Have you tested the PH to see will it suit the veg you propose. there is a link to a soil testing video in the post as well as the relative PH required for each veg.
How is it for nutrients, was there compost or manure added? Was the manure fresh, because if it was this can cause forking in carrots.

Are you hoping to grow veg in this area in the future? If so consider rotation, also written about in the article.

The quantities of seeds in each packet are written as an approximate on each packet (by law I think). I always have too much anyway and I am sure you will be the same.

Sweetcorn and Broccoli are quite hard for the new veg gardener to suceeed with, the others should be ok.

Gardening Ireland, one plant at a time.
medieval knievel
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlackBird wrote:
Finality99 wrote:

Now back to your cave my precious.

Rolling Eyes
You may find it hard to get replies to this thread, but here goes.

i think it's fair to assume that that was a response to verge's gollum avatar, not to his request.
BlackBird

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

medieval knievel wrote:

i think it's fair to assume that that was a response to verge's gollum avatar, not to his request.

Noted, thats why I offered a few pointers.

Finality99

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

verge wrote:
I added a vegetable to the title on my way back to the cave.

Strawberries are a fruit though... So shouldn't it be "fruit and vegetable garden"? But isn't that redundant since the sub-forum is ONLY about fruit and vegetables? But whatever you want man. Be pedantic all you want.

BlackBird wrote:
Create raised beds in your two plots to the dimensions mentioned in the "Veg garden piece". The soil is okay you say. Have you tested the PH to see will it suit the veg you propose. there is a link to a soil testing video in the post as well as the relative PH required for each veg.
How is it for nutrients, was there compost or manure added? Was the manure fresh, because if it was this can cause forking in carrots.

Are you hoping to grow veg in this area in the future? If so consider rotation, also written about in the article.

The quantities of seeds in each packet are written as an approximate on each packet (by law I think). I always have too much anyway and I am sure you will be the same.

Sweetcorn and Broccoli are quite hard for the new veg gardener to suceeed with, the others should be ok.

I'm using packeted compost now so I guess the forking with the carrots won't be a problem.

Regarding crop rotation, could you tell me what which is what. Like which of them is a "brassica" and which are "roots"? From the diagram embedded in the tutorial I gather that cabbages are "root" vegetables, carrots are "brassicas" and lettuce/sweetcorn don't need to be rotated, but what about Broccoli, parsnip, peas?

Are peas legumes? Broccoli a root vegetable? Parsnips a brassica? Just need to know to work out the rotation. Am I correct in my guesses? Also while I have onions to fill in that part in the cycle, I don't have potatoes. Is leaving out one part of the cycle ok?

Also about soil Ph, would 6.5 be the best to aim for? I'll buy one of the tests. Let's hope it's already 6.0-6.5 so I don't have to bother changing it.
BlackBird

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finality99 wrote:

Regarding crop rotation, could you tell me what which is what. Like which of them is a "brassica" and which are "roots"? From the diagram embedded in the tutorial I gather that cabbages are "root" vegetables, carrots are "brassicas" and lettuce/sweetcorn don't need to be rotated, but what about Broccoli, parsnip, peas?

Are peas legumes? Broccoli a root vegetable? Parsnips a brassica? Just need to know to work out the rotation. Am I correct in my guesses?

No need for guesses, the different groups are in that article if you read over it.
For example
"The final vegetable group is the root vegetable group, which we can call group R. This is a group which contains carrot, parsnip, beetroot, parsley and celery. These plants especially carrots prefer soil which is not freshly manured, which in the case of carrots can cause forking."

Finality99

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Good.

So taking one spot in the plots as an example, I'll plant peas now, then broccoli and cabbage next year, onions the next year and finally carrots and parsnip the next. I'll mix in lettuce and sweetcorn in between here and there.

Hmm and I'll get a Ph soil testing thing and hopefully it'll be 6.5 already. That seems to be the best mean Ph for everything.

Anyway thanks for the help. Happy gardening.
crosseyedsheep
Rank attained: Rowan Tree
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So taking one spot in the plots as an example, I'll plant peas now, then broccoli and cabbage next year, onions the next year and finally carrots and parsnip the next. I'll mix in lettuce and sweetcorn in between here and there.

Thats the idea, but just to add something of interest regarding the spot next to this, wherever you plant peas/beans never plant onions right next to them, the peas won't do well at all, I've seen this first hand, If you want more info on this aspect of things do a search on "companion planting", good article here:

http://www.dgsgardening.btinternet.co.uk/companion.htm

Finality99

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crosseyedsheep wrote:
Quote:

Thats the idea, but just to add something of interest regarding the spot next to this, wherever you plant peas/beans never plant onions right next to them, the peas won't do well at all, I've seen this first hand, If you want more info on this aspect of things do a search on "companion planting", good article here:

http://www.dgsgardening.btinternet.co.uk/companion.htm

Ok thanks.
kilkenny

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plant the carrots and parsnips in a barrel to avoid the root fly. Dont forget to put holes in the bottom. The root fly on flys up to 30''. Anything over that will do. If your stuck for space try cash crops. This is plant fast growing crops between rows of slow growing ones. The best way to sow them is in trays. Tomatoes are better sown in little tubs. Carrots and Parsnips dont transplant well so put them straight into the ground
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: