Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland

Wind Burn on Weeping Willow

Most Recent Posts oops
Last post: Margo
funny
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Aeneas
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Wind Burn on Weeping Willow Reply with quote

I live near the sea in Wexford. Last week we had three days and nights of continuous cold and salt-laden easterly winds. The green growth on my grove of silver birch, put in five years ago, was completely taken away and other trees and shrubs suffered wind burn on their easterly sidie. I hope they will recover. However I am particularly concerned about the impact on a golden weeping willow which I planted three weeks ago. It was about five feet tall with good leaf development when I bought it from the nursery. Now the leaves lie limp and lifeless and brown and the ends of the branches are brittle and dead. Unlike some of the other trees there is no evidence of regrowth. Is the tree likely to recover? And is there anything I can do to help it.
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The delay in signs of regrowth on the golden weeping willow is probably due to its planting three weeks ago.
Roots will not have established at this stage enough to restore a severe defoliation, but thats not to say the tree will not be able to revieve itself.
Keep watered and apply a liquid feed now and once a month for the next few months.
When you go to the garden centre ask for a liquid feed formulated moreso for leaf rather than flower and fruit.

Also have a look at this Irish Gardeners article related to your query..... Wind burn on new plantings.

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
birdie
Rank attained: Rowan Tree
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have few trees in the same state, can I use a similar feed?
Aeneas

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. The Garden Centre couldn't really recommend a high nitrogen liquid fees so I made my own - 2 scoops of Phostrogen and 1 scoop of Sulphate of Ammonia to 2 gallons of water. The Weeping Willow seems to be reviving with numerous new buds. I applied the same treatment to several other trees that suffered wind samage in mid April - silver birches, willows, amelanchiers. All have responded well although the birches are still slow coming into new leaf.
verge

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear of your success Aeneas. If you need a high Nitrogen feed again you will find it hard to beat GPI's recipe for Nettle Brew.

Benefited from us? Then link to us or tell others.

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: