Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

can i transplant garlic now? Late April / Early May

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: tagwex
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Erica cinerea
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject: can i transplant garlic now? Late April / Early May Reply with quote

hi there,
i'm new to the forum and i promise a profile soon! but meanwhile, might i ask a question? i planted garlic in november and it has done fine over the winter. i'm reorganising my (very small) veg patch into raised beds and wondered if it would be okay to transplant the garlic? or should i leave it alone until i harvest it in july?
thanks,
erica
BlackBird
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd leave it unless you can take an absolute whopper piece of soil with, leaving the garlic unawares as to the movement. Then there is the problem of creating a whopper hole to put the whopper piece of soil into. Smile
I usually plant my garlic in November so moving it two months shy of harvesting would cause a real check in growth for me.

Gardening Ireland, one plant at a time.
Erica cinerea

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was afraid of that! thanks for the advice, i'll leave it where it is and look forward to fresh (and undisturbed) garlic mid-summer.
erica
danmac

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking of planting some garlic among my roses and other flowers, as I hear its presence discourages aphids. Iwas going to just plant some cloves from vegetable shop garlic. Would these grow at this time of year, or do you think it would it be a waste of time? I noticed you both mentioned planting yours in November.
BlackBird

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danmac wrote:
I was thinking of planting some garlic among my roses and other flowers, as I hear its presence discourages aphids. Iwas going to just plant some cloves from vegetable shop garlic. Would these grow at this time of year, or do you think it would it be a waste of time? I noticed you both mentioned planting yours in November.

It will deter greenfly like most oniony type things do. Planting some cloves from vegetable shop garlic will be ok, it will grow, but it will not grow correctly. They are usually planted in autumn as the bulbs need the cold of the winter to encourage them to split into new garlic bulbs. With late planted garlic you'll probably find that you'll get one large bulb, instead of many split bulbs.
It wont be as usable in the kitchen but it should still scare the greenfly.

Gardening Ireland, one plant at a time.
danmac

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks BlackBird. Glad to hear it will still serve the more important purpose of pest prevention then. I am not a big fan of garlic as a food anyway, it's a bit too pungent for my liking. Perhaps I am part greenfly..... Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: