Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden Photo gallery & Plant Identification area

Firstly, are these daisies?

Most Recent Posts Anyone any thoughts on using wind screen protection?
Last post: mange tout
...What did you do Today...
Last post: Ado 2
Garden Visits.
Last post: tagwex
organic feed / nettles
Last post: Blowin

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Rachael
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:20 pm    Post subject: Firstly, are these daisies? Reply with quote

Hi all,
Are these daisies? I've always called them that but not sure if they are. And would they be considered a shrub or a perennial? I was not sure which section to put this post in, so that's why I'm asking Confused

Now, I have a question about them. They flower continuously, particularly the pink one, which has been flowering in abundance since I bought it, despite the lack of fertilizing on my part. My problem is that they have got quite woody and bare looking, partly, I suspect, in response to regular drying out. I have a balcony garden which I am quite happy with but, I confess, I can be a bit inconsistent with the attention I pay it.
My question is, if I were to prune off some or most of the buds, would it save energy for leaf growing, would it be encouraged? If I were to do this, would now be a good time of year?

Warm regards,
Rachael
PS, to all in Dublin, wasn't that a lovely Spring day, finally Very Happy

PPS, woops sorry, the pics look a bit big.

Last edited by Rachael on Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
verge

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They should be ok. Our webmaster is working on installing a piece of code which will automatically resize all images which are too large, so this will sort the size soon. No problems. Wink
birdie
Rank attained: Rowan Tree
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Rachael. I think they are a daisy called the shasta daisy. They look a bit leggy alright but I think if you cut back now you will miss the flowers for this summer. Confused
I'd say you should give them a general purpose liquid feed every two weeks then Cut the stems to a n inch or so above soil level when they are finished blooming.
Hope they do ok for you.
Rachael

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey birdie,
Thanks for that, I definitely think I should fertlize more. My only problem with your cutting back suggestion is that they actually flower in abundance all year round! Obviously they slow a little during winter, but not by much.

My thoughts were to cut off some of the flower buds, like dead heading but before they've bloomed. Although I think I'll go for the drastic measure next winter (can anyone pinpoint a good month for this as they don't stop flowering?) to give it a real go for next summer. But I was wondering if my idea above might work a bit in the meantime?

Thanks again birdie Smile

Warm regards,
Rachael
Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there, I don't think these are Shasta daisies, they look more like Argyranthemums. I cut them back when they get leggy, but it may be a little late to do that now......on the other hand, if you did it this late, you would probably just have to wait a little longer before you got a good display of flowers.
Beautiful day in Wexford too, it feels as if summer is round the corner!
verge

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sive wrote:
Hi there, I don't think these are Shasta daisies, they look more like Argyranthemums.

Think you are right Sive, they look like what I call Marguerites or Argyranthemums.

Benefited from us? Then link to us or tell others.

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments
Rachael

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sive and Verge,
Thanks for that, I'm gonna wait til Winter and cut them back but in the meantime I'll give them lots of fertilizer.
Warm regards,
Rachael
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden Photo gallery & Plant Identification area All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: