Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden planning, prep and landscape design in Ireland

How do I prepare overgrown garden before builders start

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Camlink
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:01 am    Post subject: How do I prepare overgrown garden before builders start Reply with quote

Hi there,
We have recently bought a house requiring renovation. The gardens both front and back are extremely overgrown and neglected with the grass lodging/falling flat on the ground. The front garden is about 20ft x 22ft and the back 80ft x 22ft. We will be extending in to the back garden by 13ft and rather than dumping the rubble our builder will grade it creating hardcore for a patio area and topsoil for spreading over the remaining garden. There are a few overgrown shrubs and lots of ivy and weeds and meadow.
Has anyone any advice on how to approach this? We can get rid of the shrubs and start from scratch with planting later in the year. Our main problem is how do we deal with the grass. It's too long for a lawnmower or a strimmer. The area is too big to attack with shears, besides which, we don't have the time. Our builder will be starting next week. Is it possible to hire a scythe in Dublin or would we be better to bite the bullet and stretch our already tight budget and get someone in to clear the garden?
Sorry for rambling on a bit, any suggestions would be gratefully received.
Many thanks,

James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject: How do I prepare overgrown garden before builders start Reply with quote

Hello Camlink.
Long grass and a strimmer just don't go together as you suggested.
You will spend half the day unravelling the strimmer head of grass.
There are two machines however which are suitable.

1. The brushcutter. This is basically a strimmer with a metal cutting blade instead of cord.
Its great on tough grass, ivy and brambles.
It will, of course, sometimes get tangled like a stimmer.

2. The finger bar mower. You may have seen a larger version of this machine working on a farm.

The cross-cut blades make short work of long grass, thistles etc.
You just have to keep a watchful eye out for rocks which can damage the bar.

Using both of these machines in long grass, I suggest cutting from the middle of the site out wards.
This will allow hiding wildlife to escape.
Try and use these machines during a dry day as the grass will be much easier cut.

Now, I live on the west coast, so I don't know where you can rent these machines in Dublin.
I'm sure Bugs our east coast correspondant and resident weather man will be able to help you on that one.

Camlink.,maybe some other members will have some ideas to tame your jungle as well,

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
Bugs
Rank attained: Ash Tree
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject: Where to hire a finger bar mower in Dublin. Ireland Reply with quote

Hi Camlink and welcome , the nearest place to you is Mr. Hire near Nutgrove . Phone them and ask about the finger bar mower . They have a delivery and collection service , 5 euro each way , excellant service . mafe sure the ground is clean of stones and wire etc. Hope this helps
Cool Bugs

Sb
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: Mr Hire Ltd Reply with quote

Heres the details for you.
Name: Mr Hire Ltd
Address: 102 Nutgrove Ave, Rathfarnham, Co. Dublin
Phone: (01) 4958877
Camlink

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies. I will organise my time and give Mr Hire a call. I remember the bigger finger bar for cutting hay in my youth, also from memory the teeth broke off /chipped quite easily so will need to take care. I'll let you know how I get on with taming the jungle.
Many thanks,

James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: "grass lodging" Reply with quote

I thought you were from the country alright, with your "grass lodging".Razz
Ye probably grew oats and barley like my father.
Good luck with the job.
Let us know how you got on, post a few pics etc.
We may be able to help you with the next stage.

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
Geranimojess
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Browsing through these old Threads its a real pity the people dont get back with updates of their work...as in this case I'd love to read how their efforts turned out, maybe if they see this it might inspire them back... Exclamation
tagwex

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with you on this Geronimojess, I have followed quite a few pleas for help and have often wondered how they got on with their efforts after occasionally throwing in my bits of advice - makes me wonder why I bother sometimes, especially with the ones who don't even come back with a thanks message.

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
Geranimojess

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a similar point on another Site I frequent and the Resident Comedians had a Field Day flooding me with with over 100 "Thank yous" in under 1hr... basically what I'd said was "When Members go through the time and trouble to answer a Query from another...is it not common Courtesy to acknowledge and say Thank you...

There was even a "Thank you" Button present to save the "Bother" of having to Type the reply...please dont get me started...its another of my pet-hates.
appsy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am used to forum help being a thankless task. Totally agree with you guys.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden planning, prep and landscape design in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: