Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Weeds & Pests and Diseases of the garden.

New Zealand Flatworm??

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Most Recent Posts Happy Christmas
Last post: Margo
Pisonous plant in the garden this month
Last post: Sue Deacon
Quiet times
Last post: Sue Deacon
Honeymoon Honesty
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Forrester
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,I am new to the forum but I am currently studying invasive species and I am looking to get hold of new zealand flatworms and or their eggs. If any body has them on their property would it be possible for me to call to you and remove some for research purposes ?

Regards
Forrester
Kiwi_Ed

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:22 am    Post subject: do they dig? Reply with quote

Hello all,

I know this topic is quite old but as my question fits the subject I thought it best to reply here instead of starting a new topic..

Do New Zealand Flatworms dig?

This year I am finding a large amount of these buggers in my vegetable patch (I keep the paths and unused beds covered with black plastic sheets and find them under there). First I thought they were some sort of slug but after some research (I was wondering if they perhaps were slug predators) I found out there real identity..

So far I have been throwing them out with the slugs whenever we pick them and move them a fair distance from the patch. But from now on I will be destroying these to stop spreading them more (at least as much as I personally can). But I am just wondering if these animals are able of digging? They do hunt worms so it would make sense that they can, but I hope not..
It would be easy enough to pick them up from under the black plastic but if they can dig I have few hopes for my earthworm populations and my soil after that..

Does anybody else have these things in their (vegetable) garden and find any negative effects on soil and growth?

I'd love to hear from you all!

Many thanks,
Edwin
Sidney Pink

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep,unfortunately I've got these pests too and lots of them all over the site here in Clarinbridge Co Galway.I've just realised what they are and the damage they do.The war starts tomorrow.
Blowin
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the 8 years we've been here I suppose I've found half a dozen or so. Initially, earthworms were a rarity but they do seem to be returning so I'll keep up the destruction of NZFWs when I take off the polythene.
Sue Deacon
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have not seen the beggers in this part of Fermanagh yet. But I know they have been seen at the Organic Centre, just over the border in Rossinver and a lady who volunteers there told me she has stopped giving away/selling plants in pots, (but she did give me a cutting of a beautiful rose).

When we moved in here there were no worms. It has taken years to get a healthy amount of our little friends. I don't want to lose them to these monsters!

Good guy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sometimes see them in my garden, they've been here for years and I kill on sight. I do have worms but not that many and only small ones. The big lads that carry leaves down into the ground and burrow very deep are absent this long time. I don't know if the flatworms can dig, I usually find them under plastic and similar.
Sidney Pink

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:30 am    Post subject: New Zealand flatworms Reply with quote

Went looking today and got this lot in 10 minutes.9 l think in total.l'm trying to add a photo.
tagwex

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you all just not buy worms? I bought a couple of kilos worth two years ago for the compost heap. 30. Dendro buenos or something like that.

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
Good guy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kill, Sidney, kill!!! Nothing else looks remotely like them except for Australian flatworm and it's too cool/wet for those b****rs here. The eggs are small, shiny black rugby ball shaped, about 3 or 4mm long. Squash!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Weeds & Pests and Diseases of the garden. All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: