Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Introduce yourself to the rest of the Irish gardeners

Hello, from a wet & windy Galway!

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Margo
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Sue Deacon
oops
Last post: Margo
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
JulieSh
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:04 am    Post subject: Hello, from a wet & windy Galway! Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
I'm Julie, have been in Ireland since last October from the UK - why, oh why didn't we move here years ago? Confused

Anyhow, we have 3/4 acre of lawn garden - a totally blank canvas!
And now I start to develop a garden - a bit daunting, but I'd like to do it myself rather than have someone design it for me.

I think a garden should grow & develop - also, the memories of putting the garden together can be lovely - I had a town house in the UK, so only room for pots - but there were lots of them! Sadly, I had to leave them behind, including my beloved Laburnum tree in a huge pot - but I am buying a new one this week to start again!

So, it's a pleasure to 'meet' you all - I'm looking forward to gardening in Ireland - and hope to gain lots of tips along the way! Very Happy
Julie x

crosseyedsheep
Rank attained: Rowan Tree
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and welcome, This is a good place for tips and advice. Start with some sort of a rough plan and take it from there, you'll find that it evolves as you go.
Joaney
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes Welcome to Ireland and your new garden. The first thing you should do is make a list of everything you want in it, everything you need in it, and what you intend using the space for . That will give you a start. You can then see where you can put all these things. also make a wish list. Happy planning. Very Happy
Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, Julie. I have also moved out of the city (Dublin) and am similarly facing a very blank canvas of about an acre in a beautiful, but very windy, spot in Wexford. It will be fun to exchange experiences! I think a garden lets you know what way you should plant it, if you are prepared to be patient and let it evolve. Good luck!
JulieSh

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: Thank you... I made a start! Reply with quote

Thank you all for the welcome!

OK, so I made a start... without any sort of plan! Embarassed
But that's just the way I do gardening....and usually it all looks ok in the end!

I bought 2 large Ceanothus bushes & a curly willow... that took care of the left front side... then I made a small rockery at the base of a large tree... yeah, I know it shouldn't be under a tree, but it gets sun all day & I think it will be fine once the plants have established.

On the right front side, I made 4 circles in the lawn, each one slightly larger, and filled them with a mixture of small Ceanothus, Lillies, Poppies, Fuschias, Hebes, Stock, Phlox & Lobelia.... oh, a right mish-mash, but actually looks really nice so far!
Down by the front wall are 3 yellow Brooms (Cytisus), which should grow like mad & help block out the breeze-block wall!

At the back, I have planted 3 Rhubarbs - I don't much like eating it, but the leaves look great once it's taken hold... and I have dug out a further 2 circles and planted various herbs.....

Hubby has spent all day today in the wind digging out the lawn at the side of the house for a patio area, & he says it should be finished tomorrow - woohoo!

Just along from there, I am planning a tomato & runner bean area.....

And so far, that's it.... until further into the season! Like I said, gardens evolve.... and if I buy & plant bit-by-bit, hubby doesn't notice how much I spend at the garden centres! Wink

I shall post some pix later in the week & am really looking forward to seeing everything start to grow.... hopefully!
Julie.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Introduce yourself to the rest of the Irish gardeners All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: