Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Weeds & Pests and Diseases of the garden.

Strange hole in the ground

Most Recent Posts At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
funny
Last post: tagwex
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Stello
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:00 pm    Post subject: Strange hole in the ground Reply with quote

Some months ago, we discovered a strange hole in the ground, in the back of our garden. It looks like something that was done by a mole, I guess, but we're puzzled at the depth of it - about one metre! Shocked It also seems to be vertical..

We haven't noticed any activity around it, but we're curious about it. Any ideas on what could have made it? Moles developing lift shafts?

(I have actually taken a few pictures, but I haven't uploaded them yet..)

cooler
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too deep tunnelling to be a mole. No moles in Ireland anyway. I would love to see a shot of the hole as I am intruiged now.
wedgetomb

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Extra terrestials, believe me, i have them as well, they are a nuisance at times, but do no real harm.
Stello

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, some pics;

Here, D is measuring how deep the hole is.

And here he's showing how deep it was!

wedgetomb

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, i see the issue, it is like i said, they are in your garden, now , maybe there is a chance that it are intra- terrestials, instead of extra terrestials, some far related cousins, still, same DNA in their molecules, best way to deal with this is to feed them, because they eat earth otherwise, as you can see in your case, when you leave food out, they will leave your garden alone, they particularly like pasta. Don't ask me why, just noticed that, in essence they are good creatures, just fairly playful and bold at times, i have some pics of them, but am not able to post , doesn't work, the only way you will be able to see them is when you use solar lightning, reason being that trillions of years ago they were rays from the sun, the rays hit the earth, and they attached temselves to the earth, but with the ozon layer getting thinner, their rays are heating up and that is why they burn their way in our soil;

Alright, hope this is of any help to you, any more questions, please ask, i would consider myself a bit of an expert on the matter, do you live by any chance in the bog? THey seem to concentrate their more often,

Anyway, so far so good, i am having another drink now,
ciao
cooler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wedgetomb wrote:

Alright, hope this is of any help to you, any more questions, please ask,
Anyway, so far so good, i am having another drink now,
ciao

What are you drinking? Seems to work well anyway. Laughing

Stello, what I want to know is where did all the soil go that was in the hole. Was it on the surface, did you clear it away? Moles usually leave mounds of soil on the surface.
My guess is a cavity that was always there, just covered on top by some soil which then caved in. Its funny that it is at the edge of a path or patio as well.
Weird. Question
medieval knievel
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a similar hole has appeared in a friend's garden, up against the edge of a retaining wall. the wall is about five foot tall, with the soil in the garden level with the top of the wall.
i haven't measured the depth of the hole, though.
Stello

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooler wrote:
Stello, what I want to know is where did all the soil go that was in the hole. Was it on the surface, did you clear it away? Moles usually leave mounds of soil on the surface.
My guess is a cavity that was always there, just covered on top by some soil which then caved in. Its funny that it is at the edge of a path or patio as well.
Weird. Question

No, there was no sign of any dug out soil.

You could be right about the cavity, although I don't think it was always there as in that case, it would have caved in before - like when the shed (which is right next to the hole) was put there, or the path.. Of course, those are both quite old, so the cavity could have developed in time, over the last few years..

Mysterious!

inishindie
Rank attained: Tree plantation keeper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:39 pm    Post subject: burst pipe Reply with quote

Hi

Is the hole next to the house? It might be a burst pipe. The water will have washed away all of the soil. Check where the pipes go out of the house (maybe to a septic tank!) If it is this you will have to get it fixed or it will undermine the foundations.

I might be wrong but it's worth looking into (groan!)

Ian

Stello

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, there's no pipes near it, it's in the far end of the garden (thank God..).
danmac

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stello, are you in an area with limestone as the bedrock? Where I am living we have limestone which has loads of caverns beneath us, in fact a local entrepreneurial family has made a mint out of these caves as a tourist attraction.
Anyhow, to get back to my main point, we often encounter swallow holes, of various size, around here, where the ground simply breaks down leaving a hole which can be inches across, or several feet. In winter/rainy weather you can often hear groundwater draining into them if they are in a hollow part of a field or in a drainage ditch. Round here we call it a "slugaire", which I think comes from the Irish word for glutton, something which swallows a lot. We have a pretty large slugaire in a ditch about 60 metres behind our house. It is about 4 feet across. Also there used to be another one with a smaller opening where our front lawn is, but when the house was being built, the digging machines filled it in with material which thankfully seems to have held.
Stello

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's certainly an idea worth exploring, though it sounds kind of unlikely, for this particular area..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Weeds & Pests and Diseases of the garden. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: