Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Lemon Tree... help, will the leaves come back.

Most Recent Posts Christmas reading.
Last post: Greengage
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
eddiebutt
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:07 am    Post subject: Lemon Tree... help, will the leaves come back. Reply with quote

Hi there I bought a healthy lemon tree last year it has since lost all of it's leaves I found some kind of waxy stuff on it and cleaned it off with cotton wool. There are no signs of the leaves coming back I have it indoors and put a feed booster on it I also re potted it, will the leaves come back in the summer what should I do?

Thanks

Eddy

James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like your lemon tree got attacked by either scale insects or green fly, eddiebutt.
The waxy or sticky substance you found is related to their feeding.
Warm water on cotton wool is quite effective for cleaning away the sticky residue as I am sure you found.
You can strike back at these insects in future by spraying the plant with an insecticidal soap or a premixed bug gun containing Derris or Malathion.

For now all you can do is make sure your lemon tree has a free-draining potting mix, and don't over water it.
In fact keep it slightly on the dry side, but when watering use use rain water and feed every time you water
Give it plenty of sunshine as well.

On the fertiliser front, well you would normally apply a special citrus plant food to already growing and healthy lemon trees.
But in your case it is leafless, so I would ask my local garden centre for a water soluble plant food for leafy indoor plants.
This should bring on the new leaves.
Good luck with it.
eddiebutt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:58 am    Post subject: Lemon Tree Reply with quote

I tried giving it the water fertiliser still no joy I also only water it every 2 weeks and have it in a sunny spot should I put it outdoors in April after frost is gone
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: