Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irelands Garden tools / equipment. (mowers, glasshouses & polytunnels etc).

Allergic Reaction from wood preservative?

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: tagwex
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Geo321
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:36 am    Post subject: Allergic Reaction from wood preservative? Reply with quote

I made some raised beds in the polytunnel in January, using strips of shuttering ply, which I treated with " ECO-F " wood preservative, in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions. I've found that every time I go into the tunnel I get a peppery, stinging sensation in my mouth, tongue, and lips. This is in spite of thorough and regular ventilation.
I wonder if anyone else has experienced this, and what can be done about it?

:arrow: Poster please note.......edited by moderator to add descriptive title............... see rule 11 http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/about27.html
Sb
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never heard of that " ECO-F " stuff (any link). Its probably safe but may be reacting with someting else and giving off the gases you are allergic to Geo321. Maybe the glues in the ply?
At the risk of adding other chemicals into the mix, have you thought about sealing the wood preservative in with a varnish or something. May not be suitable around veg beds, but just a thought.
Geo321

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:49 am    Post subject: Allergic Reaction to Wood Preservative Reply with quote

Hi Sb. Thanks for your suggestions. I'd tried sealing in the preservative with 2 coats of PVA adhesive, diluted 5-1, but it didn't help much. A friend in the building trade said there's lots of fugicides in the preservatives, which, if ingested via skin contact or vapour, remain and accumulate in the body, and are carcinogenic, so I replaced all the timbers with untreated ply, and it has solved the problem. Hopefully I can continue working in the tunnel in comfort and safety.
The shop where I bought the ECO-F said no-one else had had any problems using it in tunnels, and the main suppliers in Dublin e-mailed me,
" Dear Sir,
In response to your query I can confirm that all precautions associated with theWater-based wood preservative are when the product is in its liquid state. The primary danger the water based wood preservative presents is when it is ingested. The irritant classification is related to prolonged contact with sensitive skin when the wood preservative is in its liquid state. Once the wood preservative achieves surface dryness it becomes benign.
There may be another explanation for the symptoms that you describe but I am confident that they do not relate to the wood preservative. I suggest that you ventilate the tunnel for a number of days and see whether there is an improvement rather than removing the timbers."
I have to conclude that I must be hypersensitive to certain chemicals.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irelands Garden tools / equipment. (mowers, glasshouses & polytunnels etc). All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: