Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Plant Propagation, increasing your stock of plants in Ireland.

Storing Seeds

Most Recent Posts Best solution for slugs?
Last post: Sue Deacon
Fertiliser for shrubs in flower bed
Last post: tagwex
Share A Tips Info:How Long Do Organic Carrots Last
Last post: Julia_Garden
...What did you do Today...
Last post: Sue Deacon

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Macy
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject: Storing Seeds Reply with quote

Went a bit mad with my seed purchases, so likely to have a good few left over. I think the house might be a bit warm, so was thinking a tuppaware box in the fridge. However, I'm a bit concerned about the frost tender seeds, such as peppers, tomatoes and aubergine - would the fridge be too cold?

Also, I want to get my Aubergine and Pepper seeds going, and was thinking of the bottom of the hot press to get them germinating, then move them out once the growth starts. Would that work or would I effectively need to harden them off from there to normal house temperature?
fuinnseog

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi macy,

I'm guilty of seed mania this year also Laughing ...couldn't be helped, I only have a small garden but like trying new varieties each year.
I keep mine in a wooden box out of light and in a cool room. I usually only keep my seeds for 2 years and then replace if I haven't used them up.
Another idea is to organise a seed swap. Maybe this board has a facility for doing that?
Either way, if you spend €3 on a packet of tomato seeds for example, even if you only got one plant out of the entire pack that produced fruit, it's still cheaper than buying them at the supermarket! And much tastier! Very Happy
My chilli seedlings are growing happily on a south facing window sill with a radiator below it. Haven't started the aubergines off yet, will do it with the toms on Paddy's weekend. I've heard the hot press can work as long as you take them out as soon as they germinate but i've not tried it personally.
verge

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Storing Seeds Reply with quote

Macy wrote:
Went a bit mad with my seed purchases, so likely to have a good few left over. I think the house might be a bit warm, so was thinking a tuppaware box in the fridge. However, I'm a bit concerned about the frost tender seeds, such as peppers, tomatoes and aubergine - would the fridge be too cold?

Avoid storing them in hot, freezing, bright, moist or humid conditions. For me this means storing excess seeds in envelopes or matchboxes at the back of a wardrobe in the coolest room of the house. Smile
I would avoid the tuppaware as moisture could build up inside it.

Benefited from us? Then link to us or tell others.

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Plant Propagation, increasing your stock of plants in Ireland. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: