Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irelands Garden tools / equipment. (mowers, glasshouses & polytunnels etc).

Greenhouse suppliers, small hobby greenhouses in Ireland

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: tagwex
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
fuinnseog
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:34 am    Post subject: Greenhouse suppliers, small hobby greenhouses in Ireland Reply with quote

Hi there,

Sadly my plastic greenhouse did a vertical lift-off in Friday night's high winds and it is nowhere to be seen!! Sad Crying or Very sad
Now i'm half thinking of giving up on these plastic ones and getting a glass/polycarb one.
So does anyone know of anygood websites for small hobby greenhouses in Ireland? I'm looking for a 4x6' or possible could squeeze in a 5x6'.
wedgetomb

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Night mare to see you tunnel going up, I have mine up since a week and still standing, thank god, hope it will keep.
Go to www.Polydome.ie
they do good things, speedy delivery, good luck
fuinnseog

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now you see it now you don't!

Thanks for that WT, i'd had a look at Polydome after checking out some of the suppliers from one of GPIs earlier posts and they are a lot more expensive than if I ordered from UK, including delivery.

Is this just another part of "rip off Ireland" or are there any good budget companies?

I've seen a nice lean-to from Gardman for under €400 including delivery. Anyone have any experience of this brand, whether they are good/bad etc?

Hope it's ok to post the name? i'm not advertising just genuinely interested in feedback thanks.
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem there fuinnseog. Wink

Need materials?
Irish home delivery.

Need materials?
UK home delivery.

Need materials?
US home delivery.

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!

Last edited by James Kilkelly on Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:36 pm; edited 3 times in total
Sb
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Request a brochure for gardman products here http://www.gardman.co.uk/asp/brochure-request.asp then take it to a few garden centres and ask them to get a price for you on the particular greenhouse you were looking at. All garden centres will have the number of a gardman distributer in Ireland.
I know Arboretum Garden Centre in Co Carlow are definatly stockists of gardman.
wedgetomb

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, they are a bit expensive alright, but their service is good, and they are nice on the phone, which can't be said for some others, anyway, there is also the possibility to get it secondhand on line, that will really cut the costs,
fuinnseog

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips everyone. Smile
None of my local garden centres even sell greenhouses so I'm not sure they would order one in for any cheaper. I will email the Irish distributer of Gardman and ask them what garden centres they supply to in Dublin and check them out though.

I guess there is not be much of a market for greenhouses in Dublin due to a lot of gardens being on the small side...
verge

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let us know how you get on fuinnseog. Just as an aside, crosseyedsheep posted this about a homemade polytunnel the last day. http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/about1246.html
fuinnseog

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks verge, but seeing as I will be struggling to accomodate a 4x6 lean to i don't think i'll be able to squeeze in a polytunnel! Laughing
Don't think i'd be able to build one by myself either, not got the know how or strength! Very Happy
AJ
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a 6x6 greenhouse in B&Q a couple of months ago, the metal is probably a bit lighter than the well known makes, but i think is adequate. They also do a 6x4. I'd suggest u buy glass instead of polycarbonate, first of all it strengtens up the whole structure, and secondly wont blow out like polycarbonate will, also cheaper to replace glass, polycarbonate replacements may be hard to get. Best of luck. Smile
fuinnseog

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AJ, Do they have the greenhouses on display in your B&Q ? I have never seen any in my locla B&Q but have seen some nice ones on their UK website.

Awaiting some brochures from a few local suppliers so I will price them all up and see what I can come up with. Will have to get a mini-plastic one to keep me going with the seedlins, otherwise the house will be overun again!!

A local supplier of Gardman has told me that the lean-to model is a bit flimsy...so might not be worth it after all...will keep you posted.
AJ

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuinnseog,
They have one on display in Cork, but not in Limerick. very cheap, I think mine cost me €135 for the frame and €96 for the glass, or there or there abouts. Usually kept just as u walk into the outdoor garden centre part. I bought a lean to about 10 years ago when in the UK for a break, found that it wouldn't fit into the car, so had to tie it to the roof for the return journey. Mrs Bucket wasn't too pleased. Secured well to a wall and yes the frame was slightly flimsy until the glass was fitted, it was perfect then.

This is a photo of a B&Q GH I bought last Sept.

[img][/img]

fuinnseog

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice pic AJ, and that is very reasonable, I will definitely give them a ring today and see what they have in stock! Very Happy
fuinnseog

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Checked out B&Q and the 6x4 with base and horticultural glass is €330 which is very reasonable. None in stock for another 4 weeks but luckily there is a special offer on 6Hx4Wx2D plastic ones in argos at the mo so I will pick one up today to get going on seeds.

AJ, how did you find the assembly of the B&Q GH? I'm not much of a DIY boffin... Confused so would need easy instructions!
AJ

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuinnseog,

I didn't bother with an alu base simply because 1. I thought it was bad valu, 2. didn't give much extra height, 3. a concrete base and a row of blocks on top did the job better.

Well I'm a bit of a diy'er ( some would say a chancer), so things like that may be a bit easier for me, unusually I read the instructions first and did note it said that it should take a full day for 2 people to errect, thought to myself thats probably for normal people, (lotta people have asked me am I normal) but trust me on my own it took the whole day. I wouldn't say difficult, certainly a job for 2 people.

I decided to sow a month later than the seed packets indicated, and to make at least 2 sowings of the types I wanted. Most of the feb sowings have come up and look healthy, so have started to sow more this week again and will sow again in april for summer bedding. This is my first year so hopefully all will go well, spent a lot of time thinking and asking questions so as to get a good set up, fingers crossed.

What are u sowing Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irelands Garden tools / equipment. (mowers, glasshouses & polytunnels etc). All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: