Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Lawns and grass care

lawn aeration, what to do with the clay plugs?

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
declanfl
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:03 pm    Post subject: lawn aeration, what to do with the clay plugs? Reply with quote

I have scarifed and aerated my back lawn this week , after i aerated the lawn there was alot of clay plugs from the machine left on the lawn, i tried to pick these up with a ride on lawnmower and push mower but no joy, what can i do, is it ok to leave the plugs on the lawn, or will the get lighter in weight over time and they will pick up.
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the weather was dry and the plugs were not made up completely of clay, then I would be of the view that you could leave them there to break up naturally.
But with wet weather and clayey plugs, it will take a long time for them to break down or even become light enough to suck up with the lawn mower.
What you will end up doing is driving over them or squishing them into the turfs surface as you mow the lawn.
This can be damaging to the grass as it then has to grow through a a smeared piece of clay.

So, I suggest you rake them up with a flat rake, or suck them up with a strong lawn vacuum. Then pop them onto your compost heap or dig them into your beds and borders.
declanfl

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers for that.
jimmy mac
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject: lawn aerator Reply with quote

hi i wasa wondering where i can get an aerator for my lawn i have aride on so i would prefer one that i can attach to the ride on are these heavy and can i buy one in ireland
jimmy mac

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: trees Reply with quote

sorry all i forgot to ask about 2 more things

1 where can i buy poplar trees i have tried small garden centres to no avail.i was wondering if the arboreteum in leighlinbridge would have them also what distance apart would they be sown

2 i am loking to fence off the front of my site but i dont want to use post and rail. i was looking at the posts that the council use they are about 6" square with a groove cut around the top. however i dont know where to get them can anyone help many thanks
blagadan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jimmy, Sorry only caught your post just now. Would have spotted it sooner if you made a new post with its own title instead of tagging onto someone elses thread...

I spent ages trying to buy an aerator here in Ireland but the prices were too high for my tastes (or pocket). I found a company in the UK a couple of years ago, Northern tool, that had core aerators for ~ £90 pounds incl vat which were exactly what I was looking for. It cost something like £40 pounds to deliver to me using DHL.

heres a link http://www.northerntooluk.com/products.asp?partno=250250E

A very good and sturdy aerator, I've had no problems with mine and I use it heavily, twice a year...
jimmy mac

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blagadan wrote:
Hi Jimmy, Sorry only caught your post just now. Would have spotted it sooner if you made a new post with its own title instead of tagging onto someone elses thread...

I spent ages trying to buy an aerator here in Ireland but the prices were too high for my tastes (or pocket). I found a company in the UK a couple of years ago, Northern tool, that had core aerators for ~ £90 pounds incl vat which were exactly what I was looking for. It cost something like £40 pounds to deliver to me using DHL.

heres a link http://www.northerntooluk.com/products.asp?partno=250250E

A very good and sturdy aerator, I've had no problems with mine and I use it heavily, twice a year...

thanks for your help that looks like the tool for the job
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Lawns and grass care All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: