Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Water butt pump

Most Recent Posts My intro
Last post: Greengage
Hi all
Hello and help needed on watering
Christmas reading.

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Yorky
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:08 pm    Post subject: Water butt pump Reply with quote

I tried attaching a hosepipe to my water butt tap but gravity alone is insufficient for it to flow. Argos do a water butt pump for circa. €77 but this seems expensive - does anyone know of a cheaper alternative?
Sb

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a handle operated pump? I think a lot of it comes down to the flow of the water produced by the pump. A pump cheaper than €77 may produce a laughable flow. But in saying that I have found that Argos is not the cheapest. Maybe try your local farmers coop if you are in the country.
Yorky

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've actually bought the B&Q own brand pump which cost circa.£30stg - does anyone have any experience of this pump?
blagadan
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried raising the water butt higher off the ground?
3-4 feet would make a pretty good difference?
birdie
Rank attained: Rowan Tree
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you still need one of these then check out this weeks lidl specials http://www.lidl.ie/IE/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20080424.p.WaterButtPump
walltoall
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject: immersible pumps Reply with quote

Just came across this thread, so thought I'd comment. Right through the thread there seems a lack of understanding on how pumps actually work, what they do and how you should manage water on your holding. I have substantial plumbing in my (tiny and semi-arid) garden in Essex and am continually upgrading and experimenting. I use experience gained in pumps on [biggish] boats, which is quite helpful for my own garden water-management.

Basically there are two types of pump, ones that can shift water horizontally and ones that can lift water to a height. The two types of shifting are mutually exclusive although one pump can do either job, but not BOTH. If you want to shift a lot of gallons you need a very wide pipe and if you want to lift water to a good height you need a small internal diameter.

I have one of those yellow LIDL submersibles working in my garden. I think it cost about £20 April 2007. In England (and probably also in Ireland) LIDL policy is to market a particular item on a particular week each year. April is pumps!

I use my LIDL pump to lift water from a butt at ground level to a storage tank in the roof about 18' up. It uses an 8mm ID plastic pipe to lift the water to that height. The pump has given no trouble in its present guise. It is a common design often used as a bilge pump on biggish boats. I've seen one almost exactly like mine pumping 1000 litres an hour (about 400gals) on a 80' trawler via a 1" ID pipe using syphon-assistance to neutralise the height factor.

It's expensive to get pressure by 'pumping'. Much better to use height to achieve that pressure if possible and right round the world that is how it is done if possible. The Aswan High Dam is a good example at the top end but my roof-tank uses the same methodology. It's a matter of economics meeting physics via latent and kinetic energy. You need to know what you want the pressure for. In Egypt it shifts the water to sites up to 1000 miles away.

Save as much water as you can in your butts and water by trickle feeding. Plants love trickle watering and it uses very small amounts of energy and water. My butts are daisy-chained to maximise collection and minimise loss. We get very little rain over the year so you gotta be crafty to catch as much as you can while the rain is still falling. But I still seem to always need more water for the garden than falls onto my roof.

You should shop around when getting a submersible. I have seen a pump almost identical to my £20 LIDL one in a ship's chandlers for £120.

Michael196

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hozelock do a water butt pump for about 70 Euro, I see them in Homebase in dublin
Annamoe99

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me what is the best way to get water from a slow flowing river to a garden about 2m higher than the river. There is no electricity available
cooler
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wind powered water pump possibly http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnhbuniOkzg
walltoall
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:50 am    Post subject: lifting water Reply with quote

Annamoe! As a child (and before rural electricification) I seem to remember visiting a very old house in Co. Waterford which had a pumping system to lift water, maybe 5metres from a stream in a deep ravine to the yard above. I recall it used a syphoning system of some sort and had to be re-primed regularly. For the life of me I cannot recall further details but I was fascinated by the tap which was the first I'd ever seen. If I find out more I'll come back or maybe this post will jog someone else's memory. WalltoAll 2/20/0815.

2/20/0859: http://www.howstuffworks.com/question318.htm not the answer I'm looking for but it does show you can pump water uphill from a flowing stream using the energy of the falling water. So just how slow-flowing is your river? Is there any perceptible flow at all? If the water is actually moving and you can see it moving we are onto something.

2/20/0915 http://www.otherpower.com/otherpower_waterpumping.html here's an interesting solar-powered solution from the US of A. They get a lot more sun than we do in Winter. But because of our long Summer days and Summer generally being when you need most water? Watch it though on the installation costs. Solar panels are still very dear

medieval knievel
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"it's not easy being green" was on the other night, and they made an 'unpowered' water pump, in that it was powered only by the water pressure from the stream they had running through the land, which had a good gradient, so a good flow. it was able to lift water higher than the stream itself, using a one way valve, and a valve on a spring which would shut repeatedly, causing a pressure spike, which forced water through the one way valve. admittedly not much use to the original poster...
janelee

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to say the title of this thread makes me laugh everytime I see it on the frontpage. Laughing Laughing Oh and I think walltoalls first link from howstuffworks and medieval knievel suggestion are one and the same. A hydralic ram pump http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqjH4cVv57Q
Annamoe99

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions. I had looked at the hydraulic ram pump but I don't think I have enough gradient.
Back to the drawing board!
Shay

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Annamoe99 Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:01 pm Post subject:

Can anyone tell me what is the best way to get water from a slow flowing river to a garden about 2m higher than the river. There is no electricity available

Here is a solar powered pv pump from a uk supplier. Probably a too expensive for your needs

http://www.navitron.org.uk/product_detail.php?proID=37&catID=65
Digger Dan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May seem like a crazy idea but could you raise your butt by a foot or two, would improve head of water. Tried to syphon?

Rgds,
Digger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: