Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland

Long time lurker first time poster, pinus radiata sub?

Most Recent Posts 2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
funny
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Delboy
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: Long time lurker first time poster, pinus radiata sub? Reply with quote

Hello from Galway

Absolute novice here and I need some advice.

1. Got a person to design a garden plan for us and one of her recommendations was to plant some pinus radiata. Unfortunately it appears to be a very hard tree to source at the moment and the designer is on holidays and i was just wondering is there anything that ye could recommend as a replacement?

2. I havent ordered any trees just yet but as it is coming to the end of the bare root season is there any prep work that i can do. Should i have the 30 holes dug in advance of tree planting (it could be another two weeks before i can get the trees delivered?

Thank you

D
BlackBird
Rank attained: Ash Tree
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:26 am    Post subject: Re: Long time lurker first time poster Reply with quote

Delboy wrote:
Hello from Galway

Absolute novice here and I need some advice.

1. Got a person to design a garden plan for us and one of her recommendations was to plant some pinus radiata. Unfortunately it appears to be a very hard tree to source at the moment and the designer is on holidays and i was just wondering is there anything that ye could recommend as a replacement?

I heartily recommend scots pine as it is native to Ireland and somewhat similar to pinus radiata (Monterey Pine ). Gpi has a good article about it in the native Irish trees section. You will not get this bareroot but rootball or containerised.

Delboy wrote:

2. I havent ordered any trees just yet but as it is coming to the end of the bare root season is there any prep work that i can do. Should i have the 30 holes dug in advance of tree planting (it could be another two weeks before i can get the trees delivered?

Thank you

D

Yes if you have the time then dig them beforehand. The weather may be wet if you leave till planting time to dig.

Gardening Ireland, one plant at a time.
Delboy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Blackbird for the advice much appreciated
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: