Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News.

Garden centres in county clare

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Most Recent Posts At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: kindredspirit
funny
Last post: Sue Deacon
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Sue Deacon
oops
Last post: Margo

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
wedgetomb
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:30 am    Post subject: Garden centres in county clare Reply with quote

Hi there,

Have visited some garden centre's in county clare, i live there now for 2 years, and i am so dissapointed by what i have seen so far,

I lived for 18 years in County Cork and might be spoiled but the garden centres' there are fantastic, you can spent the day there, so well stocked and taken care off, just the business.

In Clare what I have seen so far is dead roses looking at you, half the stock in on ground, trampled, not taken care off, empty shelves, this is mainly in west clare,

Does anybody know of a decent garden centre in Clare, please let me know, I am desperate!!!!

AJ
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Wedge tomb,
Have to agree with u there on two points,.

1. Down here in the 'Cultural Capital ' we are spoilt for choice.

2. I spend a day a fornight in West Clare, due to that inconvienence called work, have never spotted a reasonable garden centre, in fact from memory dont remember even seeing one.

The closest good ones that i know of to u ,are a trip away on the tarbert ferry,

1. Ballyseedy garden centre just south of Tralee, revamped the whole place last year, have everything there now, including food, and housold fancies, really well looked after and a nice way to pass away an hour or so.

2. Leaving Ballyseedy continue on towards Farranfore, there is one on u'r right hand side, huge place but more old world, one of these places u have to take u'r time to ensure u don't miss enything, could spend a couple of hours there.

3. Head onward towards killarney and just before u come to the first roundabout in Killarney town , u'll see one on u'r right, another well kept place , well worth the visit.

Make a day out for u'r self . These 3 places are within half an hours drive of each other. u also have Woodies in Tralee and Home Base in Killarney.

Are u sowing any seeds or doing anything interesting in the garden at the moment.

wedgetomb

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell you a funny story, I was in Kilkee and there was a hardwarestore which looked they could have gardening stuff, so I went in , and asked if there was a garden center in the village, Oh yes , said the woman behind the counter, just up the road, BUT he probably hasn't any plants at the moment.!!!!
Which turned out to be true. I know it is winter , but there is plenty around to do, to prepare, to plant.
Went to Woodies in Limerick, not a great selection, they didn't have seed trays, well, up to Homebase, and that was a pleasant surprise, finally plants, trays, seed packets, and all of it.

But yeah, Kerry , that is quite a trip from me, the ferry is a rip off in price, but I keep it in mind.
I didn't know how good it was in Cork, I lived in North Cork, and so much choice, there is this lovely little garden center near Doneraile, Glenanaar, in the back of beyonds, not that big , but they have a lot. That was my favorite.

The garden is getting into shape, am starting from scraps, have a piece of a quarter of an acre, so manageable, have made my raised beds, have to get manure, compost and topsoil now to fill it, and am in the process of setting up the tunnel. That is my favorite piece of the garden, I am not really into plants that much, do organic vegetable growing, fruit etc. But love roses in all shapes and forms.
So this is my first garden year in Clare and am so looking forward to it.

Keep you posted!

AJ

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Wedgetomb,

I think Home Base is about the best of the diy stores, they seem to look after their plants very well, best of luck with the new tunnel and the growing this year,

talk to u soon,
davidnugent
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found B&Q to be very good,a great selection,Galway is just up the road from you,some very good garden centers here.And well stocked in winter.
walltoall
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:15 pm    Post subject: Come on the Banner Reply with quote

Garden centres in Clare? Come on mush! They don't do any of that stuff out west. Its years since I lived there but they had this great joke that the only garden centre in Clare was in Limerick; McLysaghts just over the Meelick Bridge. Out Kilrush way the gardeners grew veg. the finest in Ireland, from seed. And they sold their produce in Kilrush. Naw! I don't think you'll find a garden centre in Clare. Kick me if I'm wrong on this.
blownin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ennis town center Market Square on a Friday lots of people sell plants from backs of vans,
Ennistymon between the Garda station and the fire station ther is a small garden center, i went ther Sunday, lovely sunny day, guess wot CLOSED. Also in Ennistymon ther is a hardware shop opposite the AIB Devitts they sell seeds, bulbs, seed potatoes etc, There's an old boy sells veg from the back of his van most days there i had 50 cabbage plants from him yesterday for €5.00
stevemc

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BláthInis Garden Centre, Quin Rd. Business Pk, Ennis
# Hawthorn Nurseries, Clohanmore, East Cree, Kilrush
# Kincora Nurseries, Kildoorus, Clonlara, Co. Clare
# Little Moon Garden Centre, Mullagh, Co. Clare
# Meelick Bay Nurseries, Ballinagrough, Whitegate, Co. Clare
# Kilshanny Nurseries and Garden Centre, Carrowduff, Lahinch, Co. Clare
# James Devitt Hardware and Garden Centre, Main St., Ennistymon, Co. Clare
# Clonroad Garden Centre, Clonroad Business Park, Ennis, Co. Clare
# Ennistymon Garden and Patio Centre, Circular Rd. Ennistymon, Co. Clare
# Monvana Garden Centre, Monvana, Kilrush, Co. Clare
# Shannon Garden Centre, Limerick Rd., Drumline, Newmarket on Fergus, Co. Clare
# Dairygold Co-op SuperStores, Shannon
# Rainbow Nursery, Kilmihil, Co. Clare
# The Garden Rooms, Coonagh Roundabout, Limerick
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now there's your answer. Laughing Laughing
Thanks for that stevemc.

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
stevemc

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No probs sorry for the link the first time Smile
TryMyBest

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:00 pm    Post subject: Tulla & Ardnacrusha Garden Center Reply with quote

I tried to find that "BláthInis Garden Centre, Quin Rd. Business Pk, " last week and I couldnt. I drove round the business park for ages. I was speaking to a neighbour at the weekend and she said it was right down the end but I couldn't find it, I'll try again next time I go to Ennis.

There is a garden center in Tulla. I've been there a few times and their prices are really good and the people working there are very helpful. They are currently extending the size of the center and it looks like it is going to be great when finished.

There is a lovely garden center in Ardnacrusha Co. Clare. It is one of the best ones that I've been in. It's just on the outskirts of Limerick City so it may be a bit far to travel. I find their selection very good and they give brilliant advice.

I can't think of the name of it but if you are travelling from Limerick City, head for corbally / Westbury. (Out past St. Mary's Catherdral, follow the signs for killaloe). Keep on this road, you will eventually go over Ardnacrusha bridge and the garden center is on your right at the bottom of the hill. (There is a shop on the left side called 'Barrys').

If you want to avoid limerick city; from Ennis, head for Tulla, O'Callaghan Mills, Broadford, Kilmore, Blackwater/Ardnacrusha. You will pass out the shop mentioned above and the garden center will be on your left after the bus-stop and before the hill for the bridge.
blownin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a garden center further on out the Quinn road past the Volkswagen garage / petrol station, on the left I'm not sure if its the one your after.
TryMyBest

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I found that one after my exausting search for "BláthInis Garden Centre". But "BláthInis Garden Centre" is suppose to be inside the quinn rd. industrial estate. There's a sign on the gate and all. No worries, I try again next time I'm in Ennis.
blownin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See advert in this weeks Clare champion theres something on this Saterday at the Quinn Rd busines Park with a phone number to call
Protein

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The garden centre in Ardnacrusha is by far one of the better ones in Clare.

The setting alone is worth the trip. Its sits nestled next to stream by towering trees on a very old estate.

Its not a "large" garden center, but they have a fair amount of stock and some gems. There is giant rhododendron (which is just finished blooming) which is over 80 years old.

As for The Garden Rooms on the Ennis Road, I only go there when I have to. There is zero ambiance, and have sympathy for the staff working there. Those of you how use it regularly would know why.

BláthInis Garden Centre in Ennis is cute - it a couryard style garden center with plants jam packed in every corner, so keep walking around as you are likely to see something you have missed. The lack of signage is not their fault, they are at go-aheads with the Coucil over this.

Ballyseedy is nice, but I find its quite pricey. The coffee shop is the highlight of the place.

Regards
Protein

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News. All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: