Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Lawns and grass care

From old Lawn to new Lawn - advice needed!!

Most Recent Posts 2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
funny
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
realtine
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:25 pm    Post subject: From old Lawn to new Lawn - advice needed!! Reply with quote

Hi all, new to this forum and while I have read the articles on 'Lawns" I have some questions for you;

I'm not a good gardener all I have are a few house plants but I plan to renovate our back garden this year hopefully with the help of folks here!!!!

Basically our back space is a typical suburban yard, it is approx 22 feet wide and perhaps 125 feet long, walled on either side and fenced off at the end with a barna shed in the corner. The current 'lawn' is nothing more than scrub grass and ruined even more over the years with various dogs and children to the point where it's so uneven and practically hollowed out in many areas and totally un-walkable.

So we've decided a total renovation is called for, hard work but I think it's worth it. Now my first two questions are on how to get rid of the old lawn?

Should it be killed off with an appropriate weed-killer and left for a couple of weeks?
Should we just hire a sod remover or rotovator and plough or rake it out?
And then how do we level it out?
Also what tools should I get?

Enough to be going on for now I think - I look forward to any suggestions.

oh and I tested the soil and it's fairly neutral (7 on a ph measure).

Confused
verge

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:26 am    Post subject: Re: From old Lawn to new Lawn - advice needed!! Reply with quote

Welcome realtine Smile

realtine wrote:
Should it be killed off with an appropriate weed-killer and left for a couple of weeks? Confused

Yes, this will be one of the best steps you can take to eliminate the scrubby grass. Some commonly used weedkillers used in the prep for a new lawn are mentioned in this sticky A new lawn from seed. .
If want you could go organic and leave the sprays where they are, instead cover the old lawn entirely in black plastic for a month or two. This will shade out the old grass causing it to die naturally. Of course if it is a perennial or running grass such a scutch/couch grass, then you would be better using a translocated spray as mentioned in the sticky.

realtine wrote:
Should we just hire a sod remover or rotovator and plough or rake it out?

If you have had a good kill on the old lawn surface then I would just rotovate. No point in stripping off soil you may need by using a sod cutter.

realtine wrote:
And then how do we level it out?

Using flat rakes as mentioned in the sticky and lots of elbow grease Twisted Evil Very Happy . But first check to see if you have the required 6 inches of soil depth. If not, top this up before raking.

realtine wrote:
Also what tools should I get?

A flat and sprung rake are essential. A rotovator can be hired, as can a seed spreader, but you can always do this by hand.

The sticky I mentioned above should already cover a lot. Post back if you have any more queries. Or if you want to post a pic or two of the scrubby grass for eradication advice, then please do.

Benefited from us? Then link to us or tell others.

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments
realtine

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! good advice, I thought that starting from new would be the best and now I know what to do... I've posted some photos of how the "garden" is at the moment.
It needs so much work but I'm really looking forward to having a nice space out here in the summer (!) so I'm (we're) quite prepared to do the work needed.

We begin next week with a total clear out and by building a small doggy area on the left hand side along the wall, then we'll fence of f the right hand side of the path for a week or so while we kill off the grass on that side then do the same on the left, we also plan to remove the dodgy path from the center of the garden
I've posted a photo of the grass that's there at the moment - it's all so uneven and can be quite muddy in the bare patches when it rains.[img]

Tom

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep it is definately worth your while sowing a new lawn from scratch. Especially since you are doing other works as well which would damage any existing lawn surface. It seems like a nice tidy size of a garden to reseed as well.
You said that you are really looking forward to having a nice space out there in the summer, are you putting in a patio as well? If so then this will throw up some free topsoil which can be used for the lawn. Come to think of it the doggy area will make some soil available also.
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what the grass looks like in your photos realtine, I would say you could clear it organically and safely by covering it.
I see a few nice bits of light suppressing bits of carpet in the pics which would be ideal for this job. Wink
It would be safer for your dog too, but if you are careful with the use of herbicide/dog access then you will fare ok as
realtine

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've actually been thinking of not using any chemicals to kill of the old grass because of the dog, but last year we had a problem with bindweed and we killed it off successfully using round-up and keeping the area securely fenced off for a week or so preventing dog access.

The garden is just so boring though isn't it? Two walls and a fence! I'd love something like this - well a little neater but it's just so wild and wonderful - but baby steps first - huh?

My dream garden!!! Laughing

Joaney
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: New lawns Reply with quote

: Very Happy A dream garden is what we all want the fun of it is just getting there. Make your changes first then lay new lawn. Looking forward to seeing pictures of your progress. Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Lawns and grass care All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: