Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Bulbs in Irelands Gardens

Its late January 2008 - Can I still plant tulips

Most Recent Posts oops
Last post: kindredspirit
funny
Last post: kindredspirit
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Margo
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
idioticlee
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:18 am    Post subject: Its late January 2008 - Can I still plant tulips Reply with quote

Hi everyone. I know its January but I have recently been given "gifts" of several packets of unsold tulips from friends who have online nurseries in the UK.

I accept that obviously flowering time will be later and I dont even mind if they only flower next year. The question is can I still plant them into the garden? Should I possibly limit them to pots and start them off in my unheated greenhouse?

My second question concerns whether or not it is absolutely essential to dig up tulip bulbs each year. Some of the tulips already planted were advertised as suitable for naturalisation. Others were the more fancy kind (and yup, I was too stupid to keep track of which are which - is there a way to tell?)

If I do have to dig them up, could I appeal to you for an idiot's guide to tulip bulb collection - when do I do it, how do I do it, what do I trim off the bulb, what do I leave on the bulb, and where do I store.

Thanks for the help
crosseyedsheep
Rank attained: Rowan Tree
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plant them all, you've got nothing to loose. You may find that some have divided i.e. into a number of smaller bulbs, this happened me last year with some I didn't get planted, if they don't flower this year then next year.

I don't know anything about lifting them I'm afraid Confused

wedgetomb

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

I never lift any bulbs, they come back every year, i do hit them sometimes in the summer with the spade by accident, but that's life, you win something, you loose something, the lesser digging the better is my motto,
idioticlee

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:43 am    Post subject: How long do bulbs live? Reply with quote

I have planted fancy and common tulips, fancy and common daffodils, anemones, snow drops, blue bells, crocus, little irises, and other winter bulbs. For the most part I got a 2nd year of flowers but a very disappointing 3rd year display.

I know (presume?) each individual plant has a set life but I had hoped that they would reproduce, and that subsequent generations would keep up the display? Am I being unrealistic?

A hearty thanks for all advice so far!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Bulbs in Irelands Gardens All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: