Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland

Ideas for trees/hedge 5 to 6ft, others to emphsise sea views

Most Recent Posts Anyone know what this is called
Last post: Black&Amber
What is this plant guys
Last post: Margo
re potato spraying
Last post: tagwex
Broad bean question.
Last post: mange tout

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
jollyman
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject: Ideas for trees/hedge 5 to 6ft, others to emphsise sea views Reply with quote

Hi folks,

First time poster its a great site for info i am no expert but i would love to get advice. My first job is to erect a post and rail fence on my site boundary, as there is a view to the sea from this side i want to plant a line of trees not a hedge and i dont want them too tall 5 to 6ft in height with a relatively narrow trunk a couple of variations would be nice.

I have put up a link to my blog in the photo slideshow you can see picture 14 looks towards a farm i want to plant that corner in a triangle of tall trees to hide that view and emphsise the sea views and the boundary runs up from there pics 11 and 1.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

BlackBird
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:59 am    Post subject: Re: Ideas for trees/hedge Reply with quote

jollyman wrote:
Hi folks,

First time poster its a great site for info i am no expert but i would love to get advice. My first job is to erect a post and rail fence on my site boundary, as there is a view to the sea from this side i want to plant a line of trees not a hedge and i dont want them too tall 5 to 6ft in height with a relatively narrow trunk a couple of variations would be nice.

Trees 5 to 6ft in height with narrow trunks and cope with sea breezes is a big ask. I can only think of the pillar like conifer Thuja "Emerald". You will not see its trunk but it has a narrow profile.

jollyman wrote:
I have put up a link to my blog in the photo slideshow you can see picture 14 looks towards a farm i want to plant that corner in a triangle of tall trees to hide that view and emphsise the sea views and the boundary runs up from there pics 11 and 1.

What are the trees in the surrounding fields? Would something like them suit or do you want something very decorative as I think it would distract from your sea view.

Gardening Ireland, one plant at a time.
jollyman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont require anything too decorative, maybe a mix so ill have decidious and non decidious. I supppose the obvious choices are a brecellini or castlewarren and keep them trimmed. (please excuse the spelling) I would like to think i could plant something like mountain ash, and silver and copper birch can these be maintained at 6ft?
BlackBird

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mountain ash, silver birch and regular copper beech will be unrecogniseable to the trees that they should be if you keep them to 6ft. You may as well be planting shrubs.
Weeping Cotoneaster (Cotoneaster Hybridus Pendulus) small white flowers summer and bright red, autumn berries would be ok for your 6ft limit.
As would the Weeping Copper Beech (Fagus sylvatica Purpurea Pendula)

The mountain ash, silver birch and regular copper beech would be much better suited to planting in the corner in a triangle. They would be tall enough trees as far as I can see to hide that view and emphsise the sea views. Copper beech quite slow though, possibly sub that for native black alder.
jollyman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks blackbird they both look like good options is there possibly one more that i could plant as a variation too, what would my best option be for purchasing them? Im hoping to plant in the next two weeks to get the first years growth in.
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jollyman wrote:
Thanks blackbird they both look like good options is there possibly one more that i could plant as a variation too, what would my best option be for purchasing them? Im hoping to plant in the next two weeks to get the first years growth in.

I will jump in ahead of Blackbird there and suggest the chinese rowan (Sorbus vilmorinii).
It flowers white in summer.
It also produces berries in autumn, which start red and then fade to pale pink.
It can occasionally reach 12ft in height.

Otherwise, consider our native spindle berry our native spinleberry, which can be trained as a low tree.

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
jollyman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks GPI looks good how much and what size should i buy with these trees?
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put them in at about 1 to mtr high.
How many really depends on whether you require the plants to stand alone or quite quickly lock together.
I think you will retain a better view of the sea if you leave these plants at 3mtr spacings.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: