Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Planting trees (fruit) frosty nights here in Enniskillen ?

Most Recent Posts Garlic problem
Last post: Greengage
funny
Last post: ponddigger
Introduce yoursellf to whom.......................
Last post: Keeks
I'm new here
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Anjo r
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:08 am    Post subject: Planting trees (fruit) frosty nights here in Enniskillen ? Reply with quote

Hi all

New House New garden and soooooo much to do but i am very excited about designing and planing and planting and enjoying my new garden
My 1st question to you all is I got gardening presents for Christmas two apple trees and one pear tree we have had a lot of frosty nights here in Enniskillen and i am worried about planting them out yet all my books say plant as soon as possible what should i do one tree is in a small pot the other two are in plastic sacks please help! thanks
BlackBird
Rank attained: Ash Tree
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as the ground is not frosted solid you can go ahead and plant your fruit trees. I mean if it is hard to dig with ice which is unlikely. If you recieve any frosty nights after the trees are planted the worst that will happen is this years buds may be damaged. This is no big problem. You could even cover them with a sack or old bed sheet on particularly frosty nights. Gpi the site admin has a good post on apple tree planting you should have a look at http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392

Gardening Ireland, one plant at a time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: