Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Shrubs in Ireland ... Hedging in Ireland

Some ideas please for hedge and/or climbers near railway

Most Recent Posts Gardens worth a visit.
Last post: kindredspirit
The 10 species most endangered by climate change.
Last post: Blowin
The Grantham Oak
Last post: Blowin
Engineer needed
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
jashar99
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Some ideas please for hedge and/or climbers near railway Reply with quote

Hello everyone,
For the past few days, I have really enjoed reading the topics on this site, there are some fantastic contributors. Well done to all involved.

I would really appreciate some advice. The train line runs behind our back garden. In late December 07, CIE cut down and excavated the roots of the ash trees that made our garden totally private to the rear from the houses on the other side of the rail line from spring-autumn. There is a 5 ft drop on the other side of our back stone wall, so the 10ft high security fence they erected only goes about a ft above the height of the wall. (shoudler height at most ) I dont have a picture of the fence, but it is identical fence to the the last picture enclosed.

Thankfully CIE left 4-5 ft between the wall and security fence and after talking to the management teams, they are happy to allow a hedge to be planted between thewall and fence. I want something to grow failry quickly and something that is evergreen. It would need to be pretty high even to get to the height of the wall. I was thinking english laurel, also has anyone suggestions
for a climber for the fence. i was thinking bare-rooted for economy.

thanks in advance

Sb
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:39 am    Post subject: Re: HELP, some ideas please for hedge and/or climbers, Reply with quote

jashar99 wrote:
It would need to be pretty high even to get to the height of the wall. I was thinking english laurel, also has anyone suggestions
for a climber for the fence. i was thinking bare-rooted for economy.

Giselinia is much faster than laurel in my experiance. Its evergreen and can be got bareroot. I would plant this with a few narrow trees growing along the line of the hedge to give you quick height.
verge

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Semi-evergreen, native, quick and available bareroot Irish Privet
I agree with SB on the suggestion of some narrowish trees planted along the line of the hedge. For the fence climber you will find it hard to beat woodbine/honeysuckle as varieties of it grow wild here.

Benefited from us? Then link to us or tell others.

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments
jashar99

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you both. appreciate your suggestions. I loved the trees at the graden, totally south facing to the rear, any suggetsions for narrow trees? I like the dark colour of the laurel. i know its becoming more sommon to see but not as much as the giselinea yet. thanks again
BlackBird
Rank attained: Ash Tree
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jashar99 wrote:
I loved the trees at the graden, totally south facing to the rear, any suggetsions for narrow trees?

Upright Oak, Quercus robur 'Fastigiata' is nice and near to our native. Or the red columnar Maple, Columnar red, Acer rubrum 'Columnar' for an injection of colour. Fastigiate Hornbeam , Carpinus betulus 'Fastigiata' looks quite close to beech, which is als nice. Note that all of these will be leafless in winter.

Gardening Ireland, one plant at a time.
jashar99

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you Blackbird, i'll get going and google your suggestions
jashar99

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all, these are the pics of the fruits of my labour. about 80 ft of hedging, laurel bare rooted, about 3-4 ft high and six silver birch trees (THANK YOU FOR SUGGESTION OF TREES BY THE WAY). The laurel was very reasonable at E2.50 each and E12 for the silver birch. As you can see it has some way to get before actually being useful as a hedge for me. Hence I come back for some suggetsions for climbers. I would like evergreen cover for thie 10ft high fence, only 2-3 ft os visible above the wall from the back garden, but even this would be enough to give some privacy, having been used to it for so long. i have honeysuckle on a side wall. i was thinking something evergreen and some flowering clinbers in between, perhaps flowering at different times. Also what would be the best time to do so?

Thanks in advance,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Shrubs in Ireland ... Hedging in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: