Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland

london plane seeds

Most Recent Posts Huge storm takes out Sequoia
Last post: Sue Deacon
Indoor sowing.
Last post: Sue Deacon
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
No Herbicide please
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
medieval knievel
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject: london plane seeds Reply with quote

are these fertile? i understand the london plane is a hybrid, and hybrids are sometimes infertile?
i picked up a few 'seed balls' - the ones an inch or inch and a half in diameter - walking into work this morning, and was wondering if it was worth my while trying to sow them.

Last edited by medieval knievel on Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:37 am; edited 1 time in total
BlackBird
Rank attained: Ash Tree
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I know a friend grew them and she found that very few of the seeds were viable when grown at home, but seem to produce seedlings much more readily just outside the base of the tree. medieval knievel have you ever seen any young plane growths around the tree in question.
If you want to try your own seeds you can do like my friend and leave the seeds outdoors in a cold spot to gain a two month cold period to break the seeds dormancy. Put them some where the field mice, birds and squirrels wont get them. If it was me I would just bung them in the salad crisper part of my fridge.
Sow the seed in spring in a lightly shaded area. When and if the seedlings emerge and they are large enough to handle, you can prick them out into pots. For their first winter she brought all 3 or 4 of them into a polytunnel, then planted them outside their permanent positions in late spring the following year.
I haven't seen her for a while, must ask how they are now.
Smile

Gardening Ireland, one plant at a time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: