Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Organic gardening in Ireland / Alternative and Sustainable Gardening practices

Compost bin worms, tiger worms clumped under the lid rim.

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Yorky
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:07 pm    Post subject: Compost bin worms, tiger worms clumped under the lid rim. Reply with quote

I have a wormery and a compost bin and use both to dispose of all organic waste. My compost bin was in contact with the earth until I had my lawn seeded when I moved it onto a concrete surface for a couple of months until I found a new place to put it.

Due to it no longer going to be in contact with the earth during this time, I was concerned that it would no longer 'work' so I added some tiger worms out of my wormery to it. This was quite effective and kept it working.

It has now been back on earth for the last eighteen months but every time I put waste into it I find lots of tiger worms clumped together under the rim of the lid. I always put them back in but there are many back again the next week. Has anyone any ideas why this is happening and how to rectify it? Thanks in advance.
inishindie
Rank attained: Tree plantation keeper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:34 pm    Post subject: bid for freedom. Reply with quote

Hi Yorky

I too have a bin where the worms hide under the top of the lid. It could be one of a number of things I think (there will probably be others!)

The compost is too wet. The worms won't be able to breath is the waste is too waterlogged. I find this happens more at this time of year. We tend to put in loads of fruit so this doesn't help. Try putting layers of dry newspaper in between the compost, this will dry it out a bit.

They might just be resting after eating loads of food!

My theory is that they are waiting until you lift the lid then making a bid fof freedom over the top!

It sounds as though your worms are active and healthy so I don't think we have anything to worry about. They might be fighting for room, I would be more worried if you didn't see any!

They have access to the ground so they could get out if they weren't happy

Cheers

GarethAustin
Rank attained: Rowan Tree
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian,

You the man!
Laughing Laughing
Gareth
jashar99
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi, i had exactly the same problem with my compost bi, every time i opened the lid, there would be loads of worms around the rim. I have for the past few month eliminated citrus fruit peeling, or any acidic fruit and this has definetly helped me anyway, good luck
Jacqcat

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a wormery for composting, so it's made for this and has a tap at the bottom which I keep open when the weather is wet (all winter!) so the water can drain out.

Is there anyway you can promote drainage by putting some screen over the earth and maybe digging a small trench underneath it, so excess water could drain away?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Organic gardening in Ireland / Alternative and Sustainable Gardening practices All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: