Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Shrubs in Ireland ... Hedging in Ireland

Pyracantha Hedge - Yellow Leaves & Brown Spots

Most Recent Posts can anyone identify this
Last post: Sue Deacon
...What did you do Today...
Last post: Sue Deacon
Garlic problem
Last post: Greengage
funny
Last post: ponddigger

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Tobar
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:49 am    Post subject: Pyracantha Hedge - Yellow Leaves & Brown Spots Reply with quote

Hello, I planted a Pyracantha "Red Column" Hedge this Summer in my front garden in West Dublin, and have noticed recently that they haven't particularly taken off, the leaves have yellowed & there appears to be brownish spots on them.

This has only come to light, when I bought new ones for elsewhere in the garden, which have dark green glossy leaves, & look very healthy in comparison!

Anybody heard of this problem before? perhaps it's due to the time of year that's in it? (ie Winter).

Any suggestions would be a great help, as I've spent a considerable amount of money in putting in this Hedge, and am terrified that it's going to die on me! Shocked
BlackBird
Rank attained: Ash Tree
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello tobar. I see you made the choice of Pyracantha as an invader proof hedge. Very Happy
Although Pyracantha "Red Column" are supposed to be evergreen, sometimes in their first winter after planting their leaves can yellow and shed before returning in spring.
The brown spots are a bit more worrying though. Are they on all the leaves.

Does any of this sound familiar....... the two most common complaints with Pyracantha

Fireblight
Black and scorched flowers and foliage which begin to die back quickly.

Pyracantha scab

Spots coloured dark green to black appear on leaves usually in early summer. leaves fall a short while after. Autumn fruits can appear scabby and split before falling off.
Tobar

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard of Fireblight, but, from your description, I don't think that this is what my problem is.

Pyracantha Scab, however, is a possibility. There have been no Fruits produced yet, and none of the Leaves have fallen off yet, but I definitely have the Spots!

If it is Pyracantha Scab, is there anything I can do to sort the problem?
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is Pyracantha scab you can take the following action.....

. Exclamation Collect the fallen leaves and fruit and bin them, do not compost them.

. Exclamation Remove any leaves currently on the plant which are showing what is usually a greyish spotting them too.
NOTE: It would be best if you could post pics of the affected plants and closeups of the leaves and any fruits, so that we can be certain it is Pyracantha scab and not just a bit of shock affecting the plants.

. Exclamation In the coming spring you can spray the leaves with a good fungicide every forthnight until the berries form.

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Shrubs in Ireland ... Hedging in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: