Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News.

Irish plants / gardens & GPS coordinates

Most Recent Posts 2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
funny
Last post: tagwex
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
mdvaden
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Irish plants / gardens & GPS coordinates Reply with quote

Lately, I learned a new trick from a small town forum - new to me. The forum has a "local sites" section with GPS coordinates embedded into image icons. Clicking automatically opens location on Google Maps, or, if you have the free Google Earth program installed, will intiate that too. It can just as easily be done with text links too. Anyhow, I started using it on my site for my hiking trails pages. Also, I did preservation work on a Catalpa tree for the local historical society, and linked GPS coordinates for anyone caring to see the condition of the tree after tinkering on it. One example on my site is at the bottom of this page where the icons pertain to the bottom photo and it's trail ...

http://www.mdvaden.com/advice.shtml

I saw a few examples of people trying this out to share botanical garden locations. And hiking forums seem to be implementing it. I'm not sure if any of you will have a major need for it, but that's the concept if you can find a use for it. Aside from embedding the code in an image, the most basic link will look like this (location of Catalpa tree in Jacksonville, Oregon) ...

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=42.312667,-122.963567

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=42.312667,-122.963567&output=kml

The first is Google Maps. The second is Google Earth. Be sure to remember that in the link code, there is NO SPACE after the comma between the numbers.

Without a GPS device, you can find coordinates on Google Earth if you can find a place. You can enter it's name or address, or play around zooming, dragging until you see the place in a town or area. Then.... place your cursor over the spot - whether garden, tree, nursery, etc.. - the coordinate numbers display at the bottom of Google Earth. When the cursor pauses, so does the GPS coordinates. Then you can write those down, and substitute them for the numbers in the bits of code posted.

Portland Landscape & Trees
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thats so helpful, thanks so much for letting us know mdvaden. Very Happy
I tried it already this morning on this older article http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2042#2042 regarding our native yew.
I added a clickable link to a google map showing the location of the Reenadinna yew wood.
mdvaden

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPI wrote:
Wow, thats so helpful, thanks so much for letting us know mdvaden. Very Happy
I tried it already this morning on this older article http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2042#2042 regarding our native yew.
I added a clickable link to a google map showing the location of the Reenadinna yew wood.

Worked nicely. Very Happy

I was wondering if anyone would reply. It's worked out very handy for me the past couple of months.

It's just so automatic and quick.

Seems I might be using a shorter bit of code. If you place your cursor over the links I posted and copy it, you can see its as short as what's written.

Either way - it takes you to the same place Very Happy

The site I first saw use it is layed-out a kind of fancy directory with icons, but any website can make the same kind of section, even if it's merely a list of single line text links to popular places. So the coordinates links are useful for single occurances, or full lists, like Sticky topics of garden locations.

Portland Landscape & Trees
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: