Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

IS MY APPLE TREE DEAD??

Most Recent Posts Mr Mdidleton open day
Last post: Greengage
Grow lights
Last post: Blowin
Preparation for new site
Last post: tagwex
...What did you do Today...
Last post: Sue Deacon

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
baza1976
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject: IS MY APPLE TREE DEAD?? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I bought an apple tree and planted it in may 2007. It is about 5 feet tall. As you well all be aware we had a lot of rain this summer and I think my tree mght have drowned!!! The tree was coming along well with flowers apearing on branches but in the middle of all the rain the leaves started to go brown and die.. I have removed all the leaves from the treein hope that some new buds might appear... but to no avail...

I'm hoping some one can tell me how i can check if the tree is still alive??
BlackBird
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:44 pm    Post subject: IS MY APPLE TREE DEAD?? Reply with quote

Sounds like a dose of apple scab disease or some other fungal disease causing the leaves to brown and fall. I believe there was a lot of it around this summer with all the rain we had. It may even be fireblight.
The tree may be too weakened to produce any new buds this year. Feed the tree up by spreading some well rotten farmyard manure or compost around its base. In this way it will be stronger by leaf producing time next spring. It will also be stronger to battle the disease if it falls prey to it next season.
An apple tree will be more susceptable to diseases if it is planted incorrectly or in the wrong location. See this great post (Apple Tree Planting Pointers) by GPI on Apple tree planting for plenty of useful information.

Last edited by BlackBird on Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:54 am; edited 1 time in total
baza1976

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Blackbird,

I'm wodering if there is anyway I can tell if the tree is dead or do I just wait out till next spring? Sorry if I sound like I'm over reacting just that I have read the best time to plant an apple tree is october-november!!
BlackBird

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:27 am    Post subject: Lightly scratching the bark Reply with quote

To quote another member "cooler" in a recent post "Try lightly scratching the bark on one of the branches to see if their is still sappy wood beneath. Where there is sap there is hope. Smile ". You could also trim the tree back from the tips, inch by inch, until you hopefully come to healthy light coloured wood containing sap. Just keep cutting out the dead wood and see if there is any health left at all.
If you do go to replant an apple tree, be sure and read the post on planting them above.
Good luck
baza1976

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks yet again Blackbird, I'll have a got at that when i get thome this evening. Will let you know how I get on .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: