Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Kew Gardens, London

Most Recent Posts Garlic problem
Last post: Greengage
funny
Last post: ponddigger
Introduce yoursellf to whom.......................
Last post: Keeks
I'm new here
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
foamcutter
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:14 pm    Post subject: Kew Gardens, London Reply with quote

I was lucky enough to be in London at the weekend and had a small amount of time to kill on Monday before flying home, we decided to visit Kew as it was a short distance away and had a station close for the underground. I am just sorry that I didn't give it a full day, as the place is amazing.

I didn't know what to expect other than knowing of the great glass buildings, but the whole place is set into a large park type setting with a variety of walks through it

Many of the plants, shrubs, trees etc had tags showing their variety & name. These tomato plants were growing outside, not covered. I thought that you had to grow them in a green house............ they mustn't be able to fit them in.

The scale & size of the buildings was amazing too considering when they were built.

They also had different themes running in different areas.

Time was that short, we didn't even get into the Palm house, but still thoroughly enjoyed the small amount of time there........ I would recommend it as a tourist attraction on a par with Big Ben, St Paul's, Trafalgar Square if you get the chance. Smile

Last edited by foamcutter on Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
birdie
Rank attained: Rowan Tree
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow great pics foamcutter. I think i will dedicate 2 or 3 days to Kew the next time I am in London. It looks really interesting for us gardeners and would probably be less of a tourist trap.
Sb
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing your images of kew with us foamcutter. I bet you were over there doing some research for one of your upcoming constructions. Possibly a scale model of one of the glasshouses. Wink
foamcutter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Birdie,
if you have any interest at all it would be well worth it. The glorious weather helped to show everything off you could spend a day there very easily.

Sb,
Quote:
doing some research for one of your upcoming constructions. Possibly a scale model of one of the glasshouses.

were good but no that good.
To be honest we were only killing a bit of time but it was interesting ........I suppose you can class that as research. It was amazing the to see the scale of the buildings but when you consider when they were built and the equipment & resources they had at that time it's amazing.
We haven't done that much on the garden front this year ................. it might have something to do with weather, still got plenty of ides though ......... roll on next year.
verge

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

foamcutter wrote:

We haven't done that much on the garden front this year ................. it might have something to do with weather, still got plenty of ides though ......... roll on next year.

Looking forward to having a gander at them foamcutter. Thanks for the pics of Kew.

Benefited from us? Then link to us or tell others.

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments
foamcutter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have any ideas don't be afraid to post them. We created a potting bench a while ago as it was lightweight, easily moved and water proof. I didn't get a photo but this is the sketch we did
cooler
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

foamcutter wrote:
If you have any ideas don't be afraid to post them. We created a potting bench a while ago as it was lightweight, easily moved and water proof. I didn't get a photo but this is the sketch we did

Where did it end up?
I presume the circular indentations are for holding pots steady whilst being filled.
foamcutter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cooler,
I did for a friend and it was some elderly relation of his so I honestly don't know where it is. The bonus was that the cut-outs for the legs, he uses them as a seat which is insulated.......... waste not want not.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden visits All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: