Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland

Leaves have fallen off Acer Platanoides (...in August!!!)

Most Recent Posts Garlic problem
Last post: Greengage
funny
Last post: ponddigger
Introduce yoursellf to whom.......................
Last post: Keeks
I'm new here
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
kiwi
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:29 am    Post subject: Leaves have fallen off Acer Platanoides (...in August!!!) Reply with quote

Hello,

I have a new Acer Platanoides (Norway Maple) that I planted in late July/early August.
About 1 week after planting the leaves turned orange, then a few weeks after that they started to fall off. Now there is only 1 leaf on it.

At the same time I planted a White Beam (Sorbus Aria 'Lutescens') & a Red Leaf Norway Maple. All 3 were planted in the same area & the other 2 still have there leaves on them & are growing fine.

I know it's been a bad summer & the ground is wetter than usual, but the other 2 trees are OK.

Is this just down to the bad summer, or is it a more serious problem?

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks...Kiwi...

cooler
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:22 am    Post subject: Leaves have fallen off Acer Platanoides (...in August!!!) Reply with quote

It sounds like some form of transplant shock that has affected the Acer Platanoides. I realise that it did not happen to the other trees, but maybe the Acer Platanoides was a slight bit sickly already with a virus, lack of watering in the garden centre, hunger etc. However the tree may not be dead. Try lightly scratching the bark on one of the branches to see if their is still sappy wood beneath. Where there is sap there is hope. Smile
Even though this article http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=773 is about planting bare-root or rootballed trees, you will find some info concerning the ongoing care of newly planted trees.
My final thought on the subject would be to give the Acer until late next spring to produce some new leaves, if it does, keep it, if it does not, chuck it. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: