Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Weeds & Pests and Diseases of the garden.

Irish garden pests, problems with slugs and snails.

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Most Recent Posts Fountain
Last post: vulkan
The spout!!!
Last post: ponddigger
stream and pond on a sloped site
Last post: ponddigger
Colocasia Alocasia
Last post: vincent71

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
gerwil
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea I tried beer traps before and I really didn't like them, I also tried several other things like Vaseline.
But as I said in my earlier post I really find ferramol pellets excellent, and they are harmless to animals and children and my dog can attest to this as he has broke in to my tunnel and managed to eat some, they also don't leave the mess behind them.
Little Mo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: Slugs Reply with quote

I was just put in a search to see if any gardeners had hens or ducks & came across the posts about slugs. It brought back memories having been plagued in the past. Firstly I tried the iron oxide pellets but not much luck as they seemed to wash away too quickly & were turning out expensive. I thought about beer but my husband was reluctant to part with his precious tipple! I now have ducks & hens, the answer to my prayers. Have to keep the hens in a run at certain times of the year until plants are established. The veg patch is also fenced off & only the ducks let in occassionally to blitz the slugs & luckily mine leave the veg intact. Very Happy [/code][/quote]
Little Mo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Slugs Reply with quote

[quote="Little Mo"]I was just put in a search to see if any gardeners had hens or ducks & came across the posts about slugs. It brought back memories having been plagued in the past. Firstly I tried the iron oxide pellets but not much luck as they seemed to wash away too quickly & were turning out expensive. I thought about beer but my husband was reluctant to part with his precious tipple! I now have ducks & hens, the answer to my prayers. Have to keep the hens in a run at certain times of the year until plants are established. The veg patch is also fenced off & only the ducks let in occassionally to blitz the slugs & luckily mine leave the veg intact. Very Happy
Little Mo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woops! I was trying to edit & looks like I've posted twice. How can I get rid of 1.
I've tried editing/delete but cannot work it out. Help! Rolling Eyes
verge

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The little X button in the top right hand corner of each of your posts will allow you to delete that particular one. Try it, and if is not working let me know. Wink
medieval knievel
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the foxtail lily has barely stuck its head out above the soil, and it's being heavily damaged. bran and beer have been deployed.
anchoress

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is all a lot easier than this.

No need for beer; anything sweet will do the same work. Or jam that had gone 'hard" ie fermented.

No need either to 'sink" the traps.

We use empty cat food tins, laid almost on their sides, propped against a stone so the edge is on the ground. A little jam or anything sweet, in water.

Easy to empty. And very, very effective; caught the large ones that were destroying the new lupin seedings.
qwerty?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:46 pm    Post subject: NemaSlug Reply with quote

Hi, sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but no doubt it would have been anyway by someone else with the fresh onslaught of slugs about to begin.

Just wondering has anyone tried using Nemaslug or equivalent. It says it 100% safe for kids/wildlife etc, but I'm hesitant with young children and chickens around the raised beds. If it will kill slugs surely it could have unknown effects!

Also has anyone had success with copper tape around raised beds? I'd imagine there are plenty of slugs eggs in the beds already, so tape would only keep them in there?

Thanks
Protein
Rank attained: Ash Tree
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: NemaSlug Reply with quote

qwerty? wrote:
Just wondering has anyone tried using Nemaslug or equivalent. It says it 100% safe for kids/wildlife etc, but I'm hesitant with young children and chickens around the raised beds. If it will kill slugs surely it could have unknown effects!

I wouldn't be worried about kids or hens - in fact it may not affect adult snails, thats why its recommended you use early in the season

Quote:
Also has anyone had success with copper tape around raised beds? I'd imagine there are plenty of slugs eggs in the beds already, so tape would only keep them in there?

Copper tape is mostly recommended for pots - as copper is extremely pricey

SineWave

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I've beaten them. All other raised beds still suffering, but since I set up my electric fence on one last week....nothing Courgettes are thriving.
1. Old torch charger. 9vdc. Any old charger will do.
2. Solid core 1.5mm insulated wire.
3. Electrical connectors.
4. Cable clips.
Set up above and before plugging in, run over tops of wire with a stanley blade. This pears away the top layer of insulation.
Extremely minimal power usage as the wire is live, but not using power. Next step is that I will set up to a small solar panel with a battery and remove charger source.
All, in I would say this cost me €3 and an hours labour, preceded by 5 hours thinking.
I also think that this system could be modified for non-raised beds, just by perimetering with 2x1 lats and clipping wire to them.
See pics attached.

DSCF2682.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  67.45 KB
 Viewed:  26167 Time(s)

DSCF2682.JPG

DSCF2683.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  25.32 KB
 Viewed:  26165 Time(s)

DSCF2683.JPG

DSCF2684.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  24.06 KB
 Viewed:  26164 Time(s)

DSCF2684.JPG

simonj
Rank attained: Pedunculate oak tree

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im in Connemara. When I put in the beds at first, the pathways were dug out to get soil into the beds, and I tok the rocks out - and broke them up to create a base.
Then in the path ways I back filled with old ashes and topped off with dried pine needles.
Details on the blog
http://connemaracroft.blogspot.com/2010/05/bed-1-brassicas.html

Not an expert by any means, but the cabbage that went into the traditional beds - ridges - got devoured.
The brassica plants in the beds ave suffered much less slug damage.

Just dosed the beds yesterday with Nemaslug so will keep you up to date on that.

Really nice tidy job on the electic barrier, very impressive.
Thinking about the copper wire fence idea, but working on a battery version using a length of telephone wire found on the side of the road, need to strip it down.

simonj
Rank attained: Pedunculate oak tree

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update on the Nemaslug - I cant really judge if its working as this is the first year I've done the garden, so I cant compare it to anything.

I am fortunate enough to be able to colect beach sand for moulding spuds, and sprinked some in the brassica bed, a thin layer.
This does seem to have bought down the amount of damage drasticaly

'Snail lamping' a la crosseyedsheep also has had a marked effect.

The home-made beer traps are realy kicking ass. One word, I did find working with squared water bottles much easier than round ones.

Scored a cheap source of bait as well, a pal who owns a pub dumps some of the drip trays into empty bottles for me, hope he comes to see the garden soon - otherwise he will think I/m turning into a complete alco and making all this garden stuff up.

Taisce

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the ideas Smile Will get onto it tomorrow, don't fancy the midnight torch idea though Laughing

Just a quick question, I have hens, loads of frogs about, loads of wildlife, birds etc (including the dreaded deer ) Rolling Eyes but slugs just keep coming by and munching on everything.
Has anyone tried that slug barrier gel?

By the way, if anyone is having trouble with deer trampling and feeding on veg, I have come up with what seems to be the solution.... Those solar powered lights that flash SEEM to be keeping them out of the patch and away from the fruit trees! Mind you, now that I've said it, they're bound to come back!
Milon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a new variety of slug in Ireland? Here in E County Galway we are plagued by a small slug that is new to our garden. There are thousands! They resemble the garden slug, but most are a centimetre or less and have a grey 'foot' with a thin yellow band on the outside.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Weeds & Pests and Diseases of the garden. All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: